This job has been Expired
You see the campers and the trees, everything that’s said and goes unspoken. You’re cheering these kids on and cheering them up. In the highs and lows of the trail, you’re there, scanning and planning the next steps. You’re in charge of safety, satisfaction, and success.
Of course, you know that. You’ve been on the trail before. That’s what we’re looking for in our next Wilderness Instructor. You know the demands of operating on the sun’s clock and sleeping in the wild for weeks at a time with peers and kids that rely on you. It’s not comfortable, but it’s so rewarding.
You’ll help students foster community, build confidence and leadership skills on the trail. We’re Adventure Treks and we operate 13 to 30-day wilderness-based programs for teenagers in British Columbia, Alaska, California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Wyoming and North Carolina.
On each adventure, the six-person instructor team works closely together to coordinate all aspects of the trip, including:
- managing group dynamics
- coordinating logistics
- leading activities that include backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, caving, canoeing, sea kayaking, whitewater rafting, ice climbing, ziplining, cooking, orienteering, Leave No Trace concepts and general environmental education
- risk management, menu planning, purchasing food, laundry, transportation, coordinating with outfitters, maintaining equipment, and handling medical issues
- competitive salary
- travel stipend
- access to pro-purchase discounts
- opportunity to work both summer (June 9th- August 15th) and fall school group programs (late August through late October in North Carolina)
Applicants must be:
- 21 years of age (college graduate or degree in progress preferred)
- valid WFR & CPR certification (or be willing to acquire one)
- several years experience working with youth and leading outdoor programs
- be willing to work long hours with little to no time off
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to Rachel O’Neil [email protected]. Applications are due by April 15th for summer positions and August 15th for fall positions.