We help young adults move forward. In our supportive community, we provide the tools and experiences that allow young adults to discover their passion, develop their resilience, and determine their next steps.
We believe that people thrive and heal in a supportive community of authentic connection that fosters self-exploration and transformative growth.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeofGDoYhMflgjHQjYpixmw
Trails Momentum is a therapeutic program offering a unique combination of expedition learning and base camp programming to help troubled young adults (18-25) reach their full potential. Our Wilderness Field Instructors play an integral role in this process, mentoring students as they engage in various program elements such as:
• Group backpacking trips in the mountains of Western North Carolina
• Adventure expeditions (rock climbing, canoeing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking)
• Base Camp (equine care, culinary skills, gardening, service learning, college courses)
• Yoga and mindfulness practice to manage the distractions of every-day life
• Classrooms that reignite a love of learning through hands-on fun
Field Instructor Job Description Summary:
Our Field Instructors are at the heart of the work we do at Trails Momentum. Not only would you be always responsible for the well-being and supervision of our students, but also serve as a mentor and guide to students as they navigate through their journey of growth and change. Instructors work 15-day shifts, with 13 days off in between. Food and sleeping arrangements are provided on shift. A typical shift can include anything from guiding hikes among the peaks and waterfalls of WNC, to mentoring young adults, and supporting students in classroom, yoga, and through adventure programming. The Instructor role has often been called “the hardest job you’ll ever love;” it requires a firm commitment to compassion, a desire to effect positive change in the lives of young people, and the ability to be a resilient problem solver.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Direct care and supervision, ensuring safety of, and monitoring whereabouts of students.
• Responsible for monitoring day-to-day health and safety concerns such as physical health, hygiene, and food intake.
• Utilize and teach programmatic curriculum.
• Assists in facilitating valuable experiences for growth and development for students.
• Monitor and record student growth and development on a daily basis.
• Assist with demonstrating and teaching Base and Adventure skills, use of field equipment, gear, and supplies necessary for successful participation in the program.
• Report efforts in weekly meetings with supervisors, clinicians, and academic programs.
• Communicate student progress with members of treatment team.
A qualified candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Above the age of 21
• Holds a current certification in CPR and First Aid
• Ability to pass a drug screen and background check
• Ability to fulfill physical demands of hiking and camping in a backcountry setting
• Ability to identify, assess, and manage risk in a backcountry setting
• Experience and/or certifications in backcountry leadership, canoeing, rafting, mountain biking, and/or rock climbing, or experience working in a wilderness therapy program preferred
• Demonstrates resilience, grit, and adaptive problem solving
• Experience working with young people, including setting and holding behavioral limits • Ability to form healthy relationships with strong boundaries Compensation and Benefits:
• Starting at $2,400.00 – $2,850.00 per month with the opportunity to increase responsibilities and compensation based on performance
• You are eligible for Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance with Regence BCBS after completing the first 30 days of employment, beginning on the first day of the following month.
• PTO for Field Instructors that have reached a Lead or higher-level position
• Up to $1000/year support and reimbursement towards additional training (Wilderness First Responder, Clinical First Responder, etc.)
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.