Summer or Gap Community Service Trip Leader
VISIONS runs summer community service and cultural immersion trips for teenagers. We believe that stepping outside of ourselves and encountering new perspectives fosters profound and positive change. We know that young people who engage in meaningful service work in unfamiliar environments gain exceptional insight—it’s been our program model for 30 years. Our students settle into the daily life of the host community, get to know local residents, experience different customs and in the process, begin to feel a sense of global connection. As one of the oldest international summer service organizations for teenagers, we celebrate this connectedness—and the hope it holds for the future.
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
- VISIONS leaders are the backbone of our successful teen community service programs. We seek exceptional people who are hard-working and spirited for our international community service program summer jobs. Our leader teams are comprised of individuals who are respectful of other cultures, have good judgement, and are positive role models for teenagers. Typical teams include teachers, graduate students, returned Peace Corps Volunteers, outdoor educators, carpenters, adventurers and alumni of VISIONS programs.
- Leaders supervise and mentor teens during 12-day to 4-week programs (8-week programs for Gap Semester). Some locations have back-to-back sessions with a few days of break in between. Leaders work with and supervise students in all aspects of the program: service projects, recreational activities, cross-cultural events, and even day-to-day chores such as cooking and cleaning. The first priority is creating a positive and productive experience for the participants that cultivates growth and global understanding.
- This is a residential program, with leaders and teens living together in a community center, rented house, or similar place that we call home for the summer, usually in a local neighborhood. We have long-term ties to the places we work, and thus are a part of the community. Leaders work hard, but the work is incredibly fulfilling when it’s the right fit. VISIONS leaders commit to a work attitude that is respectful, cooperative, positive, safety-conscious, and community-spirited.
- A VISIONS leader is a team player first and foremost. We maintain a 1 to 4 or 5 leader to student ratio, including the Program Director. We place leaders in VISIONS program locations where their skills are the best fit, and also keeping in mind complementary leadership styles for a well-rounded team.
- Most VISIONS summer leaders are mid-20s to mid-30s, with a minimum age of 22 for our teen summer programs and 24 for out Gap programs, with no upper age limit. Leaders must be First Aid and CPR certified before employment begins (but not before applying), and more advanced medical certifications can bolster an application.
- VISIONS also hired carpenters for several of our sites. Solid foreign language skills are required for our language immersion locations.
Leaders receive a pay stipend, round-trip travel to the program site, and meals / lodging. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
- SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with similar employment opportunities and experience, and varies depending on the program duration. Please email if you would like more details.
- EMPLOYMENT DATES: Employment duration ranges from 6-10 weeks in June-August, depending on the program location, and includes 7-10 days of on-site training before participants arrive.