This job has been Expired
Mile High Youth Corps
Do you want to be a wildland firefighter someday?
Or perhaps a park ranger? Or maybe an outdoor educator?
Are you looking for a career in natural resources but don’t know where to start?
If you love forests, mountains, trails, hiking, parks, and campfires…
If you want to work outside and know you’re making a difference every single day…
If you want to be part of a team and push yourself to your limits…
This is what we do.
Join us as a crew member for our 2019 Land Conservation Fall Forestry season. We need adventurous, hard-working individuals to complete land conservation projects through team-based field work across the stunning open spaces and mountain parks of the Colorado Front Range. Personal growth, friendship, and endurance thrive here. You’ll learn how to build trails, use chainsaws, remove invasive species, and protect wildlife habitats. Put your personal development at the top of your priority list, next to community service and environmental impact. Get paid biweekly while doing what you love and earn a scholarship at the end of the fall.
Not an experienced outdoorsperson? Never built a trail or used a chainsaw? That’s okay! Our crews begin the season with a week of in-house orientation and a week of field training either on trail building or chainsaw operation. All we ask is that you bring your dedication to hard work, a positive attitude, and a commitment to a term of service you’ll never forget.
What we do every day:
- Complete physically demanding conservation projects with crews of 9 other Corpsmembers on public lands throughout Denver and adjacent counties
- Projects include trail construction and maintenance, fire mitigation, invasive species removal, wildlife habitat improvements, fencing, and public land maintenance
- Corpsmembers have the choice to serve on one of four crews: a chainsaw crew, an all-women’s chainsaw crew, an overnighting trail crew, or an overnighting chainsaw crew doing fire mitigation work.
- Our usual work week is four 10-hour days, Monday – Thursday, with most Fridays off
- Participate in four hours per week of educational activities on environmental stewardship, civic engagement, healthy living, leadership & career development, and social justice
- Overnighting crews are provided with camping gear and food for the duration of the week
- Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $760 every two weeks
- AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,252.91 – $1,566.14 upon successful completion of the term of service. This scholarship can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans.
- Trainings: 40 hour Outdoor Stewardship Institute Trail building training or S-212 Chainsaw Equivalency Certification, First Aid/CPR, Pesticide Application, and hands-on technical training related to all projects
- Transportation: We provide transportation from our Denver office to the work site and back every day.
- Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days. Corps members will have a monthly share of the health insurance premium.
Schedule: This is a full-time temporary position, from August 20th – November 15th , 2019 or August 20th – October 25th, 2019. Crews work four days of 10 hours, Monday through Thursday, with in-office programming one Friday morning every month.
- Between 18-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Able to commit to the entire term of service.
- This position may have access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-service drug screen required (includes marijuana).
Still not sure? Watch our 25th anniversary video here!
Apply on our website at https://www.milehighyouthcorps.org/apply-now, or visit us in person at 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204. Questions? Call 303.433.1206