YMCA Camp Classen
We are looking for people who have a passion for getting students into the outdoors and have a heart for the camping industry. We believe the positive outdoor experience that Outdoor School provides is essential and provides a connection between the student and the material they are learning in schools. This position requires people who take initiative, are extremely flexible and love working with kids. Our days can be long and the instructor job demands a great deal of energy and commitment to the program. Instructors on some occasions do prep work for programs outside of regular work hours and are expected to take part in meetings to prepare for any upcoming program.
As an Outdoor School Instructor you will be trained, among other things, to:
• teach our trail classes
• lead all camp activities (archery, canoeing, riflery, climbing wall, etc.)
• facilitate our team building course
• lead night activities like sensory awareness and night hikes
• perform camp songs and skits
YMCA Camp Classen in Davis, OK is hiring Outdoor Education, Equestrian and Food Service positions for our Outdoor School and Conference Camping programs. As needs dictate, employees will be given the opportunity to assist in other departments. The total experience will consist of roughly 80% of time spent in your primary area of interest and 20% of time spent in crossover support.
We are committed to adapting our program to meet the needs of the children who attend. In addition, we live and work in a community setting involving shared housing, shared meals, and often, shared recreational activities. We set high standards for instructors both for performance and for community relations. All employees participate regularly in tasks that support our programs including: housekeeping, kitchen, facility upkeep and maintenance, office work, and other behind-the-scenes activities. Once a program is complete it is the team that supports clean-up of cabins, bathrooms and any other facilities used.
In addition to the experience detailed above, the following can be expected.
- Becoming certified in CPR Pro/AED, Basic First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen if not previously certified
- 18 or older, over 21 preferred
- Strong Communication skills
- Ability to lead day hikes and other outdoor activities on rugged, steep trails
- Experience with team-building curriculum preferred
- Understanding of basic natural history and environmental education concepts
- Ability to relate to individuals and groups in a warm, positive manner
- Willingness to take on varied tasks that support the program
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Lifeguard certification
- Fall Instructors typically begin around the end of August and continue until early December.
- Spring Instructors typically begin mid-February and continue through the end of May.
- NOTE: Exact start dates are determined prior to each season as group contracts are finalized. For more specific dates for the approaching season, email Benjamin Radley at [email protected] for Outdoor Education or call 580 369 2272, ext. 7065.
COMPENSATION AND AMENITIES
Instructors will earn a stipend of $50 per day and will work at least 5 days of work a week on average ($250 weekly or more on average). Depending on group contracts, an additional 1 or 2 days of work may be available. In addition to the established stipend the following are provided: shared lodging and meals anytime groups are on grounds (about 80% of all meals are available in the camp dining hall). There are laundry facilities in or near staff housing.
If you want to learn more about our programs and mission, visit our website: www.ymcaokc.org. If you have any questions about the instructor positions, email Benjamin Radley at [email protected] for Outdoor Education or call 580 369 2272.
We invite you to get to know YMCA CAMP CLASSEN better by contacting us today.