Odin Falls Logistics Manager
With over 50 years of innovation in experiential and outdoor education in the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) continues to change lives through challenge and discovery. Our transformative and educational wilderness courses are set in some of the most dramatic and stunning parts of the United States. NWOBS was founded in 1965 and facilitates wilderness-based programs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and also serves urban youth and schools in the Portland metropolitan area. As an Outward Bound School, we are committed to the core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity, and strive to achieve the following outcomes: building character, developing leadership skills, and creating an ethic of social and environmental responsibility.
$3.1k - $3.8k / month
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
The Odin Falls Logistics Manager oversees the overall logistics management of Northwest Outward Bound’s (NWOBS) Oregon-based courses. The LM develops, implements, and oversees specific portions of the programming including on-site logistical supervision; vehicle fleet management and transportation; gear distribution; care and inventory management; supervision of the cook and the Head Logistics Coordinator; oversight of the purchase of staff and student food; logistical staff training; expenses related to the preceding areas and general basecamp operations.
The Odin Falls Logistic Manager (LM) is an integral member of the Odin Falls Leadership Team (OLT), providing basecamp leadership, course support, and on-call duties. The LM reports to the Odin Falls Program Director and directly supervises the Odin Falls Head Logistic Coordinator and Odin Falls Logistic Coordinators.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborate as a member of the Odin Falls Leadership Team to determine and fulfill program needs, goals, and directional strategy.
- Participate in the administration and delivery of all courses to ensure that course quality remains true to Outward Bound mission and Educational Framework.
- Coordinate and ensure follow-through of the feedback system and implementation of change between the field and program team.
- In coordination with the OLT, plan community events and gatherings.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are followed, and staff are held accountable. Coordinate and collaborate with all NWOBS departments to ensure a cooperative and supportive system.
Program Quality and Safety Oversight
- Review of risk management processes, documents and systems for areas related to logistics, vehicles, food, and workplace safety.
- Participate in our incident command and on-call system. There are times where the LM may be the local incident commander.
- Oversight of all transportation systems and on-site coordinator of vehicle training, policy adherence, and implementation of National Transportation Standards.
- Maintain NWOBS’ food serving licenses and advise on regulatory changes.
- Oversee and maintain occupational health and safety data, including Safety Data Sheets.
- Participate in safety reviews as assigned and in internal investigations of significant incidences.
- Collaborate with the PD to implement basecamp opening/closing schedules and checklists based on program needs and facility functionality.
- Collaborate with OLT to oversee supervision and coordination of early departures and students who are out of the field.
- Participate in basecamp set-up and take-down. Participate in daily community meetings and chores. Ensure that all facilities are maintained to the highest standard.
- Oversee basecamp facility repair, improvement, and maintenance projects.
Staff Development and Management
- Oversee development and implementation of logistics staff training, including Driver Training, and ongoing staff professional development.
- In coordination with HLC, facilitate regular Logistics Meetings with Logistics Coordinators (LCs).
- Mentor, support, and assess HLC’s role, responsibility, and job performance.
- Collaborate with the HLC to develop Logistic Coordinators, facilitating development plan meetings and exit interviews.
- In coordination with PD, determine program logistical needs and support systems that remain true to the NWOBS mission, purpose, and values.
- Oversight and tracking of vehicles and transportation, gear and equipment, food, and basecamp supplies in alignment with annual program needs.
- In coordination with HLC, responsible for creating exceptional warehouse and food room organization, operation, and cleanliness.
- Ensure proper recording of all financial transactions; coordinate with PD and Accounting to ensure accounts payables are processed in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain vendor relations pertaining to NWOBS Logistics Department, including transportation, technology, and gear/food/medical vendors.
- Participate in other duties as assigned.
- This is a full-time, 9-month, exempt position.
- The salary is commensurate with experience within NWOBS’ annual range of $28,500 - $34,500 for the 9-month Logistics Manager role.
- The benefits package includes comprehensive medical, vision, and dental insurance (75% of premium is employer-paid), 120 hours of Paid Time Off in the first year, up to 12 weeks of paid family, medical, or safe leave, and 10 paid holidays each year.
- Free and discounted Employee Assistance Plan services, including 24/7 Crisis line, case coordination, up to 5 counseling sessions per occurrence valued at $$1,000 per case, well-being coaching, and screened referrals for childcare, eldercare, legal, financial services.
- Room and board provided for the benefit of NWOBS at no charge for staff during working months, so the cost is not considered taxable compensation.
- Professional development opportunities, including $250/year toward external training, as well as in-house training on Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Mental Health First Aid, Sexual Misconduct Prevention, and other role-specific training.
- 50% tuition discount for staff and family members on NWOBS courses.
- Industry pro deals and discounts from top outdoor gear providers.
- 2+ years in the field of logistics required and a preference for 2+ years of team management and supervisory experience.
- 2+ years of experience in the education/outdoor education/experiential learning field or similar combination of experiences and education preferred.
- Strong personal motivation, commitment, follow-through, and passion for NWOBS mission.
- Experience working with students from a broad range of identities, particularly students with marginalized identities, and the ability to facilitate a positive group environment on course, on base, and in any other NWOBS context.
- Willing to actively engage in anti-racist, sexist, ableist, and all other expressions, and continually implement new skills and learning to support the liberation of those within your sphere of influence.
- Able to take ownership and practice humility in your personal journey toward building a more inclusive and increasingly safer workplace for all employees.
- Possess the interpersonal skills and versatility to effectively build relationships across a broad spectrum, and independently resolve conflict or seek support.
- Able to work in a collaborative team environment with diverse groups of people, including field staff, program management staff, and organizational leadership.
- Able to have open, honest, and difficult conversations, including the ability to give and receive feedback with direct reports and colleagues.
- Awareness of personal biases and the impact (as opposed to intention) that your language, behavior, or assumptions, may have on those around you.
- Excellence in organizational skills, development of systems, and prioritizing workload.
- Able to remain flexible, adaptable, and open to change in a dynamic work environment.
- Excellent driving skills and record. Must have held a driver’s license for at least 5 years and be able to drive large vehicles and trailers.
- Minimum current WFR and CPR required or a willingness to acquire prior to start date.
- Proficient with Excel and tracking systems.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.