Camp Counselor/Environmental Educator
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Hours: 40 hours per week June 7-July 2 typically between the hours of 9am-5pm M-F, and about 20 hours the week of May 31 for set-up/training and July 5 for clean up
The Camp Counselor job duties include the following:
- Leads and assists with all necessary tasks associated with Phinizy Center’s Swamp Explorers Summer Camp
- Leads, motivates, and ensures the safety of campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities
- Attends camp training to become competent in tasks and activities they will be responsible for during camp
- Assists with set-up and clean-up of summer camp
- Works with Camp Director to train & coordinate summer camp volunteers
- Leads or assists with before and after care as needed
- Works with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp events/ activities.
- Monitors campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevents accidents.
- Cleans, maintains, and ensures proper use of camp/education facilities and equipment.
- Reports and records details of incidents, such as accidents or rule violations, to camp director
- Follows all emergency procedures and enforces camp rules
- Other tasks as needed
DESIRABLE JOB PREREQUISITES:
- A degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Education, Education, or other related field or high school graduate pursuing a degree in one of these fields
- Experience working with children
- Environmental education and/or camp counseling experience
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to work well in a team setting and set personal high performance and quality standards, which enable the team to be successful.
- Takes initiative and has a high level of responsibility and accountability.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, supervisors, the public, and all other customers, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities.
- Upbeat and engaging with strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to work with and manage students of all ages.
- Punctual with good time management skills.
- An appreciation for and understanding of natural habitats and systems. Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physical ability to participate in activities, run, climb, lift, or support the weight of children.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- First aid and CPR/AED certified. (You can complete this training any time before camp starts.)