Adventure Trips Leader
OUR TRADITION OF ADVENTURE
Our Adventure Trips program has been empowering youth since 1986. Our Base Camp location is on Cape Cod, just one hour south of Boston in the historic town of Sandwich and amidst over 300 acres of forests, meadows and sparkling freshwater ponds. All programs are overnight, co-ed, and serve youth ages 12-17. We offer a variety of one- and two-week programs, where everyone has the opportunity to be challenged with engaging activities, make new friends, gain independence, and learn valuable life skills, all while experiencing adventure on Cape Cod and beyond.
Adventure, confidence and leadership are at the core of all that we do. We strive to foster an atmosphere of trust, group membership and value-based learning, where participants enhance self-confidence, leadership potential, peer cooperation, and form lasting friendships during fun and varied activities. Whether it’s learning to surf on Cape Cod
, or biking around Martha’s Vineyard
, participants are encouraged to set goals and work toward new abilities and achievements. With a variety of summer opportunities, campers may choose the programs that are right for them.
Building on more than 30 years of leading trips for teens around North America, we offer trips focusing on a range of adventure activities, from surfing to biking to whitewater rafting. We hire Trip Leaders for the summer to lead our campers on these amazing adventures.
We employ a dynamic team of role models from across the United States and abroad. Our leaders are safety-minded mentors and experiential educators who come to us with a range of skills and diverse backgrounds. They each possess a passion for and background in empowering youth. Staff must be at least 21 years old, have a clean driving record, and currently hold First Aid, CPR/AED, and Lifeguard certifications. Strict background and criminal history checks are performed on all applicants in the US, as well as home countries for international staff. Our leaders participate in a two week training program that includes safety and emergency procedures, policies, program logistics management, skill refinement, traditions, and fun!
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Spend a summer exploring beautiful Cape Cod, and make a positive difference in the lives of teenagers! Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Adventure Trips offers 12 – 17 year olds a unique summer experience starting at our Base Camp on Cape Cod, on a property surrounded by 300 forested acres and three freshwater ponds. We then lead our campers on trips around Cape Cod and the Islands, and to Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine & Vermont.
We offer 1-2 week trips with a variety of focuses, including: biking, surfing, cave exploration, and camping. Our trips also involve swimming, paddling, high ropes, outdoor cooking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and exploring the many beaches and summer activities that Cape Cod and New England has to offer. Campers attend our programs from across the United States and abroad to take advantage of our unique and exhilarating programs.
We provide a fun and supportive atmosphere for our campers to try new activities and forge lasting friendships. We strive to instill a love of the outdoors in our participants, while fostering leadership skills, encouraging effective communication, and living in a communal environment. This job is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference when kids need it most, following the challenging last few years.
TRIP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-lead 8-12 campers throughout the summer on 6 to 12 day co-ed excursions around Cape Cod, the Islands, and beyond
- Ensure safety of participants at all times
- Be a good role model for fellow staff members and campers, and embody the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Facilitate meal planning and preparation
- Create a fun environment, foster a positive group dynamic, and facilitate debriefing of group activities to encourage learning and growth
- Effectively teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. All necessary skills are taught during staff training; no specific skills required prior to employment. Outside professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing, and rock climbing.
- Drive 10-passenger vans, 15 passenger buses, and tow trailers with vehicles
- Manage trip finances and logistics
- Keep paperwork organized and up to date
- Manage and care for equipment
- With just a 10 minute drive to the ocean, and situated right on Cape Cod, our program is surrounded by extraordinary summer locations! With a visit to. Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket, Cape Cod National Seashore, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, or Provincetown, newcomers to the Cape will find endless options to spend their days off.
- When not working, employees will have access to summer equipment (surfboards, kayaks, hiking equipment, and more), which will allow them to truly experience all of what our amazing program and beautiful location have to offer.
- On time-off (after passing a mandated driver training program), employees will be able to use camp vehicles to explore the region.
- Adventure Trip Leaders will be able to access various locations on the Cape, free of charge due to purchased permits for summer programming, such as Marconi Beach and the Cape Cod National Seashore.
- Opportunities for spring & fall employment in Outdoor Education may be available.
- Passion for working with teens in the outdoors
- 21+ years old with a clean driving record
- Current Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR Certifications or willingness to obtain prior to start date
- Experience working with youth, especially in a leadership and mentorship role, managing group dynamics, and coordinating logistics
- Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
- Previous outdoor experience. Experience in some of our specific program areas is a plus: biking, paddling, surfing, camping, etc.