Come be a cook in our newly rebranded restaurant in Northern Colorado!
It is our goal at Steamboat Lake Outpost to provide our staff with the opportunity to grow as leaders in a safe and positive environment. We believe that community is the cornerstone of success and are always seeking out new faces are fresh ideas to strengthen our team. Our employees come from a variety of different backgrounds but share a common interest in serving those around them.
When we're not on the clock, our staff enjoys taking advantage of all that rural Routt County has to offer. During the winter months, we can be found snowmobiling, skiing, and snowshoeing a few miles from the rugged Mt. Zirkel Wilderness Area. While the summer months offer great opportunities for ATVing, camping, hiking, biking, and fly-fishing.
Because we live and work in the same space, we are committed to maintaining a community based on traditional values, authentic relationships, and healthy living. As a staff, many of our young guests view us as role models, and we take seriously the opportunity to exemplify hard work, kindness, gratitude, and an “others first” attitude.
Our community culture is the single most important factor in our guest’s experience, and we are committed to maintaining a positive and healthy staff while avoiding drama at all costs. To this end, there is a code of conduct that all of us who work here subscribe to, and we expect those who come to work at SLO to agree and abide by these rules. The following are not tolerated and are grounds for dismissal:
- Irresponsible behavior regarding alcohol (drunkenness, parties, etc.)
- Underage drinking
- Illegal drug use
- Abuse of prescription drugs
- While the use of marijuana is legal in the state of Colorado for individuals over the age of 21, to be an SLO employee you must be marijuana-free.
You will be required to pass a drug test upon a conditional offer of employment. We reserve the right to test any employee(s) we reasonably suspect in violation of this policy or if there is any accident involving a guest.
Our housing is gender-based, and we protect the privacy of the individual by limiting access to our housing to the residents of that particular unit. Our buildings and residences are smoke-free. Smoking is limited to remote parts of the property, and we strongly encourage staff to be tobacco-free.
Although we love animals, we already have plenty so we do not allow staff to bring pets.
We do not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religious or political beliefs, race, or economic status.
Our community values are something we feel strongly about and feel the clean lifestyle gives our staff the best opportunity to form authentic relationships, grow, and pursue healthy habits. It is understandable that our community may not be a “fit” for everyone, and we simply ask that you consider our policies before applying to live and work here. If you are concerned about your ability to follow our code of conduct, please consider other options. If we sound like the type of community you would like to be a part of, please continue on to our application. Again, thanks for your thoughtful consideration.
Our compensation packages consists of a base hourly salary and an equitable share of the tip pool depending on your department. We attempt to have equitable payrates with tips taken into account so that there is no extra financial benefit for working in one position or another. We want to promote a true team approach to this business and understand that we all succeed working together.
Outpost employees enjoy living and working in a beautiful area with access to extensive recreation opportunities in the Routt National Forest. We allow employees to join our guided tours at no cost. Days that you work, you get a complimentary shift meal and 20% off our store items (excluding fuel and alcohol).
Steamboat Lake Outpost is located approximately 25 miles from Steamboat Springs. Staff are welcome to bring a vehicle. Please be advised that if you are coming in winter, your vehicle should be equipped with AWD or 4WD and have appropriate winter tires. Snow removal is one of our biggest challenges in winter and your vehicle must be able to be relocated during this process.
If you choose to fly, our closest airport is in Hayden, CO (Yampa Valley Regional Airport). It’s approximately one hour from SLO and we would be happy to pick you up there upon your arrival for work. Otherwise, you can take a shuttle from the Denver airport to Steamboat Springs, CO and we would pick you up in town.
Note: We do not offer personal use of company vehicles. We do weekly town runs that you may be able to join.
Housing is bunkhouse style. We believe that this contributes to the unique community experience offered here. Living and working in the same space presents challenges, but also provides the opportunity to grow personally. It is imperative you respect the space and belongings of your roommates. Bed linens, pillows, and towels are provided. Storage space is very limited, so please pack appropriately. We will supply a suggested gear list for new employees. We do have some limited RV space on property in the summer with electrical hookups. These spots may be an option on an extremely limited basis at a fair rate.
$600 - $800 / week
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Join us for an exciting opportunity at Steamboat Lake Outpost. We are looking to staff our restaurant and front desk after our renovations and rebrand. The team at SLO is focused on providing the highest quality service and experience in North Routt. We are committed to building a staff that embodies our mission and values and encourages others in that direction too.
Given the newness and the structure of the business, there are many “all hands on deck” moments. Although you will be hired for a primary position, expect to jump into housekeeping, serving, dishwashing, et cetera as needed. At Steamboat Lake Outpost, we encourage personal and professional growth for all of our employees. With that in mind, there is potential for year-round employment opportunities.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Eager to learn new cooking skills and a passion for cooking
- A commitment to excellence and attention to detail
- A positive and professional attitude toward guests and staff
- Desire for personal and professional growth
- Should exhibit a high level of self-awareness and a passion for connecting with people
- Is a leader and torchbearer for our culture and values. Sets a good example by wearing appropriate apparel and abiding by the organization’s rules and regulations
- Takes ownership and has a good sense of when to call in a team member or manager to help
- Displays attention to detail
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expand current cooking and managerial skills
- Manage and assist in preparing food in large quantities in an efficient and consistent manner
- Food & beverage inventory and tracking
- Train and work back of house positions to gain hands-on experience and understanding of all operations
- Stamina to stand during an 8-hour shift
- All other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as needed
- Essential responsibilities include the ability to work all food stations including grill, flat top, fryer, prep, pantry, sauté, and expo while in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Must be able to follow and understand recipes and standards, demonstrate teamwork with all staff and continually strive to exceed guests’ expectations.
- The ability to multi-task is a must.
- Assist other team members as needed and with special projects, requests, events or to support staffing shortages.
- Maintain workstation, assist with prep, cleaning and any other duties as assigned
- Maintain the sanitation, cleanliness, and safety of the dishwashing area. The Dishwasher will make sure to clean proper kitchen utensils (plates, silverware, etc.), provide the customer with courteous and professional service, and operate various types of foodservice equipment when necessary.
How to Apply
Please send a resume with references and cover letter to us explaining why you would be a great addition to our team. In addition, please include answers to the following questions:
Name and contact info?
Position interested in? 1st choice? 2nd choice?
Season applying for? Available dates?
What about you makes you a great fit for Steamboat Lake Outpost?
What’s one skill you have that sets you apart from other candidates for this job?
What is most important to you?
What do you value in an employer?
How do you think working at Steamboat Lake Outpost will further your life goals?
What do you anticipate the biggest challenge being living and working at SLO?
How would your friends and/or coworkers describe you in three words?
What else would you like us to know about you?
To apply, please send all application materials to [email protected].