The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment (Sierra Institute) is committed to uplifting the community through devoted staff, meaningful work, and positive growth. All staff training is paid. Sierra Institute has been expanding its workforce and there are constantly new opportunities for those who wish to grow and develop as leaders in natural resource stewardship!
Sierra Institute for Community and Environment (Sierra Institute) in collaboration with Lassen National Forest
(LNF) is hiring six candidates to serve as a trails crew for a unique opportunity to contribute to forest
restoration and improvement of backcountry recreation infrastructure within designated national forest and
wilderness areas of the LNF. Qualified individuals with an interest in wilderness management, trail work, and
the active management of ecosystem services are encouraged to apply. The Wilderness Trail Crew, consisting
of a Crew Leader, four Crew Members, and a Crew Member Apprentice, will spend the season performing a
variety of trail maintenance projects in wilderness and non-wilderness areas of the LNF Almanor Ranger
District. Work will include benching of trails, maintenance of water bars, brush clearing, and clearing of downed
logs and hazard trees. Work will primarily be completed using hand tools and non-mechanized equipment such
as crosscut saws. The Crew may also assist as necessary other activities to advance landscape restoration in
● Minimum of 6-months combined field experience in forest or other natural resource management, this
may include but is not limited to corps work, wildland fire, research and survey work within the
environmental field, land conservation, etc.
● Knowledge and technical skills needed to conduct trail maintenance activities.
● Ability to hike 4-8 miles a day with a weighted field pack, ample water, and tools.
● Ability to perform physically taxing work in all weather conditions in rugged mountainous environments.
● Experience working in backcountry remote settings.
● Interest in, or familiarity with, principles of wilderness land management
● Ability to provide a clean driving record
● Ability to pass a federal background check
● A valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
● Ability to safely drive a vehicle while towing a utility trailer on dirt and gravel roads
● Full COVID vaccination status (vaccinated and boosted)
See website for all positions.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Skills or experiences that can fill in for desired qualifications may be considered.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.