The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment (Sierra Institute) is committed to uplifting the community through devoted staff, meaningful work, and positive growth. All staff training is paid. Sierra Institute has been expanding its workforce and there are constantly new opportunities for those who wish to grow and develop as leaders in natural resource stewardship!
The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment (Sierra Institute), in cooperation with the Lassen National
Park (LAVO) is hiring eight candidates for a Wilderness Fuels Module (WFM) crew performing fuels management in LAVO to promote future prescribed and/or managed fire activities in
wilderness areas of the park. The WFM Crew Member, under the direction of a WFM Crew Lead, Sierra
Institute support staff, and LAVO specialists, will be responsible for safely falling, bucking, and limbing live and
dead trees and constructing fireline using non-mechanized equipment (e.g., crosscut saws, axes, etc.) in
undeveloped wilderness areas. Fuels are rearranged, either by piling or lopping and scattering depending upon
fuel loading, to facilitate future prescribed fire. The WFM Crew will also be responsible for supervising Sierra
Institutes youth corps “P-CREW” for a portion of the season while they assist with the project. The crew may
also assist as necessary with other activities to advance landscape restoration in the region.
● Minimum of one year combined field experience in forest or other natural resource management, this
may include but is not limited to biological research, survey work, land conservation, or wildland fire.
● Experience with utilizing non-mechanized equipment (crosscut saws, axes, etc.) to perform fuels
● Good physical conditioning to work and walk in the forest all day carrying day-packs with equipment
during all types of weather.
● An ability to bring adaptability and improvisation, critical thinking skills, creativity, and humor to the
● Ability to be punctual, diligent, and thorough in their work and support a similarly strong work ethic
amongst crew members.
● Ability to perform physically taxing work in all weather conditions in rugged mountainous environments
● Interest in, or familiarity with, principles of Wilderness land management;Possess a valid, clean,
state-issued driver’s license, with an ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle
● Full COVID vaccination status (vaccinated and boosted)
See website for all positions.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Skills or experiences that can fill in for desired qualifications may be considered.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.