Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Position Summary: Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, with a mission to preserve and protect Minnesota’s environment and strengthen communities. MN GreenCorps members serve full-time for 11 months at environmental nonprofits, government agencies, or educational institutions throughout the state. Members address critical environmental issues while gaining green job skills and networking with environmental professionals.
Members serve on projects in one of the four environmental areas:
- Air pollutant reduction (energy conservation, green transportation)
- Community readiness and outreach (public engagement, education, volunteer mobilization)
- Green infrastructure improvements (stormwater management, urban forestry)
- Waste reduction, recycling, and organics management (food waste prevention, recycling, composting)
Member activities may include: delivering environmental education, implementing sustainability-related projects, collecting, benchmarking and analyzing data, improving habitat, implementing recycling programs, collaborating with community members, and mobilizing volunteers.
Term Dates and Schedule:
AmeriCorps Service Term: September 16, 2020 – August 17, 2021
Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm typical. Occasional evenings/weekends may be required for some positions.
Location: 44 positions are available in cities throughout Minnesota. Housing is not provided, members must secure housing near the service location. Applicants may indicate geographic area preferences on the application.
- Northeast MN: Carlton, Duluth
- Northwest MN: Bemidji, Cass Lake, Fergus Falls
- North Central MN: Brainerd, Saint Joseph
- Metro Area: Blaine, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Chaska, Coon Rapids, East Bethel, Eden Prairie, Golden Valley, Lakeville, Minneapolis, Roseville, Saint Anthony, Saint Paul, Shorewood
- Southeast MN: Lake Crystal, Rochester, Welch, Winona
- Southwest MN: Marshall
Benefits: Members earn a monthly stipend of approximately $1,428 per month, offer of health insurance, student loan forbearance on eligible loans, and an education award of up to $6,195 that may be used for education expenses or to pay off qualified student loans. Members receive training from the MPCA quarterly, develop green job skills, gain professional experience, network with environmental professionals, and are paired with a mentor who provides on-going guidance.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- Two year Associates degree or completion of sophomore year in a four-year college program required; preferred qualification of a four-year degree.
- Demonstrated interest in the environment, including energy and water conservation, active transportation, urban planning, local foods, recycling, etc.
- Interest in environmental service and community work.
- Commitment to complete the 11 month (1,700 hours) service term.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse team.
- Ability to work independently and meet project deadlines.
- Positions that perform driving require a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a driving record check administered by the MPCA. Some positions require access to a personal vehicle for transportation.
- All positions require the successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Most positions are primarily based in an office setting and require sitting, standing, and operating a computer and telephone.
- Some positons may require light to moderate lifting, bending, stooping, pulling, kneeling, carrying, and use of hand tools.
- Some positions may require the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, such as wind, rain, high or low temperatures on challenging terrain for up to 8 hours at a time.
Visit www.pca.state.mn.us/mngreencorps to learn more about the program and apply. Applicants may indicate the focus area and region of the state where they want to serve on the application.
Application Deadline: Monday, June 15, 2020
Please direct questions to [email protected]