Resident Camp High Adventure Specialist
Do you have a passion for adventure and exploring the outdoors? Spend your summer inspiring girls to build their confidence, courage, and character!
What’s in it for you:
- Make a difference in the lives of girls that will last for a lifetime
- Opportunity to share your passion and enjoy being out in nature
- Build lifelong friendships with the camp team
- Become the coolest and most influential person in the campers’ lives
- Gain problem solving, team building, communication, and mentoring skills
- Internship credit (Universities may provide college credit working at Camp)
$75.00 - $84.00 / day
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
As the High Adventure Specialist, you’ll plan and coordinate development of off-camp adventure activities such as hiking, primitive camping, orienteering, canoeing, fishing and bouldering that engage, challenge and inspire campers.
- Develop and deliver a high adventure program that is appropriate to the age and abilities of the campers. Ensures appropriate progression of all activities
- Lead camp adventure activities such as wilderness hiking, primitive camping, orienteering, canoeing, fishing and bouldering
- Act as activity specialist for off camp adventure trip activities, including but not limited to backpacking, rock climbing, and canoeing
- Act as a lead facilitator for high and low ropes challenge course activities. Support and observe assistant facilitators
- Teach staff and campers the skills necessary for a fun and safe adventure program including personal and group health and safety, care and use of equipment, emergency procedures, etc.
- Maintain records of inventory, inspection, repair and check in/out of camp equipment related to adventure and challenge course activities
- Ensure campers and staff know and follow safety policies and procedures during all adventure activities
- Ensure all high adventure, challenge course, and high-risk activities are developed and executed in compliance with Safety Activity Checkpoints, ACCT, ACA, and Girl Scouts policies, procedures and guidelines
- Collaborate with unit staff and Program Specialists with supplies, equipment, staffing, and activities to ensure off-camp trips comply with policies and procedures and monitor equipment usage
- Collaborate with Administrative Team to plan and prepare off-camp trips, including, but limited to applying for permits, reserving campsites, preparing paperwork, and packing equipment
- Assist in the general operation of camp as assigned by the camp director or assistant camp director; files itinerary with supervisor before each trip
- Able to safely and effectively tie appropriate knots, belay participants and set up and take down ropes on climbing tower
- Able to plan, implement and evaluate adventure experience with co-facilitator
- Transport campers and staff, as needed
- Perform other duties, as assigned
This is a temporary seasonal employment opportunity.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be at least 18 years of age; 21 years of age is preferred
- Able to work the full summer camp season - June 21st - August 13th
- Ability to work with children and staff of different ages
- Must be able to provide
- At least one camp season as a unit counselor or experience supervising campers
- Ability to climb and withstand heights with a high comfort level
- Must be willing to work in an outdoor setting and live on camp premises during the summer
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED certification, or able to obtain certification before the first day of work
- Valid drivers’ license, proof of insurance and access to reliable transportation (Daily and/or occasional travel may be required. Must be comfortable driving narrow, winding mountain roads with passengers in mini or cargo vans)