Deck Hand / Naturalist
Experience an authentic and remote Native village with Alaska-sized adventures and unspoiled wilderness
Have you always wanted to spend a summer working in a remote Alaskan village while expanding your customer service skills? Has the beauty of Alaska been calling your name? Are you looking to spend time away from the hustle and bustle of city life? Do you enjoy being a part of a team and working in the tourism industry? If so, Icy Strait Point wants to talk to you!
Icy Strait Point is a private cruise ship destination located on Chichagof Island in the archipelago of Southeast Alaska. One of four communities on the island, it is the largest Tlingit community in Alaska and has a population of 765 year round residents.
About Icy Strait Point
About Icy Strait Point
Icy Strait Point is now hiring for the 2022 cruise ship season (April through October) with positions available in a variety of areas including tour guides, sales, food & beverage, CDL drivers, retail and more. Located 40 miles west of Juneau on Chichagof Island, Icy Strait Point is located in the rural community of Hoonah, Alaska (pop 765), which is only accessible only by plane or boat.
Built as a salmon cannery in 1912, Icy Strait Point had several incarnations before being restored by a local Native corporation into a private cruise ship destination. It requires approximately 225 team members to operate our site; therefore we are in full operation only when there is a ship in port (209 visits from late April to late-September). Some positions work on non-call days but primarily our workweek is 5-6 days per week, some days are longer than others.
We offer numerous tours and excursions including whale watching, wildlife search, world's largest ZipRider, two aerial gondolas, fishing, walking tours, etc. Additionally, we have multiple food and beverage venues and retail shops. We are a one-day destination and do not offer overnight lodging for guests.
Check us out on Facebook:
The Employee Experience
Icy Strait Point is Alaska Native owned and operated with all profits directly supporting the local community. We provide a work environment that focuses on teamwork and having a positive attitude that leads to lasting memorable summer experiences. Employees are expected to actively participate in the FUN
program by providing F
riendly greetings, U
nsurpassed hospitality, and N
eat appearances throughout their employment with Icy Strait Point.
While we understand the summer season can be challenging with long hours, we value our employees and strive to provide enjoyable employee moments such as team building, recreation, and other opportunities as available. Employees who share the enthusiasm for tourism and meeting new people with a positive work attitude can only help make our work environment more enjoyable and our team stronger!
Come join our team for 2022!
We are looking for individuals with the following skills:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Enjoys working with the public on a daily basis
- Works well with others
- Understands the importance of being flexible
- Dependable and reliable
- Fully Vaccinated
- One dose of single dose vaccine (J&J)
- Two doses of two dose vaccine (Moderna, Pfizer)
Room and Board
Icy Strait Point does offer employee housing for employees in Hoonah, Alaska.
There is a flat monthly rate that is payroll deducted if you choose to stay in company housing. The rate covers the monthly rent, electric, trash, water/sewer, and internet. This is about 75% less expensive than if you were to try and find housing on your own. Hoonah has very limited housing simply due to the size of the community.
Please note: dependent upon availability you may have a roommate and/or shared common areas (kitchen, restrooms, laundry facilities).
Several housing facilities are similar to college dorm units. We do provide each house with basic furniture including pots/pans, dishes, single twin beds, a couch, and a dining table. What is NOT covered in the charge for employee housing is anything you would normally purchase for your own house such as basic necessities, groceries, cleaning supplies, sheets, towels, etc.
No smoking in employee housing. No pets.
- Signing Bonus of up to $500
- Training Bonus of $500
- Seasonal Incentive Bonuses ranging up to $1,200 may be earned based on performance and length of employment
- 40% discount on meals at Icy Strait Point
- 25% discount in ISP’s retail shops
- Free tours and excursions on a space-available basis
Getting Here and Getting Around
It is the employee's responsibility to make their own travel arrangements from their home to/from Juneau, Alaska. Alaska Airlines is the major airline that operates from Seattle to Juneau.
We will cover your travel from Juneau to Hoonah, dependent upon availability the options are the Alaska Marine Highway state ferry or the small regional airline, Alaska Seaplanes. Please note that the largest aircraft is a 9-seater and ferry service is not daily.
Once here, it is 4 miles from one end of town to the other so walking or bicycles are easily an option. Icy Strait Point does provide complimentary transportation to and from work from employee housing.
Hoonah is a small village and much of the joy of being here is the peaceful, outdoor, unique lifestyle that is truly Alaska. One must be able to find his/her own ways of having fun, whether it's spending time with newfound friends on a picnic 'out the road,' going fishing, photography, hiking, camping, reading in solitude, bird watching, learning a new craft, watching TV, or computer time. We are not so off the grid that internet connections aren't available but we don’t have the same quality of speed and connection that you're probably used to.
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Spend your summer on the water in Alaska as a
Whale Watch Deckhand and Naturalist!
Beautiful, remote Alaska where you will create lifelong friends and unique adventures!
POSTED:FEB 16, 2022
- Hoonah, Alaska
- $18.00 / hour + tips
- No experience required we will train you
- START DATE:
- Starts in about 1 month. (Apr 01, 2022)
DECKHAND JOB DESCRIPTION
Salary Range: DOE
Location: Icy Strait Point
Under the direction of the Captain, the Deckhand is responsible for delivering an excellent guest experience to all passengers on board while maintaining the safety and comfort of each individual. This position will assist the Captain in daily cleaning and stocking duties of the boat, weekly maintenance and participates in all drills and training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all activities and decisions according to Icy Strait Point’s guiding principles: Best, Authentic and Profitable Tour Destination.
- Attend all training required to carry out a safe and informative tour, to meet and exceed guest expectations.
- Work well with fellow staff so they operate as an effective team.
- Undergo periodic performance evaluations for continued success.
- Acts as the tour Guide and Naturalist, delivering historical and cultural information of the area and providing guests with knowledge of marine mammals and wildlife in the area. Enhance guest experience by actively searching for wildlife and bringing sightings to the attention of the guests.
- Under the direction of the Captain, handle mooring lines during docking and un-docking procedures, taking and securing the gangway ensuring it’s safety for guests and crew to use and assist them while using the gangway.
- Must participate in drills including fire, flooding, man overboard, abandon ship, medical, and spill response.
- Inventory management of vessel supplies and inform Captain when supplies are needed.
- Responsible for clean-up of vessel after each tour, remove garbage, wash windows, hose down with fresh water and re-stock as necessary.
- Maintain awareness of basic safety rules, work place safety and respect for the environment. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to follow direction and take charge of large groups when necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills and guest service aptitude.
- Willingness to learn and expand skills towards becoming a Captain.
- Must pass a security background check and DOT drug test.
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs comfortably.
- Willing to live in a remote, rural community for minimum of 7 months per year.
- Comfortable traveling by small plane of ferry to and from a remote setting.
Icy Strait Point is a Native-owned and operated enterprise and offers Native Preference under P.O. 93-638. Applicants must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.