This job has been Expired
Northwoods Volunteer Connection
The Northwoods Volunteer Connection is recruiting for a Crew Leader to work with volunteers in the Superior National Forest and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The Crew Leader is responsible for organizing and leading volunteer crews in projects that clear and improve trails and recreation sites, mitigate user impacts, and improve the visitor experience. Work inside of the BWCAW is accomplished using primitive tools and work elsewhere in the forest may require the use of mechanized equipment. The first few weeks will be spent receiving training from the US Forest Service on safety, maintenance standards, crosscut saw certification and more. The project season will include at least four, multi-day stewardship projects in the BWCAW.
The Crew Leader is in charge of training volunteers on everything from Leave No Trace and backcountry camping to tool use and trail maintenance standards. Some of the volunteers will have little to no experience travelling and working in a wilderness setting. Volunteers range in age from youth to senior adults. Additional duties include maintaining tools and equipment, and providing volunteers with the appropriate safety gear, information and paperwork. Prior to any project, the Crew Leader will meet with Forest Service staff to go over logistics. Work takes place across the Superior National Forest and the Crew Leader will work with Forest Service staff from multiple offices. The Crew Leader may be required to use their own vehicle and will be reimbursed for mileage.
Office work will take place at one of the US Forest Service offices. In addition to planning and coordinating volunteer projects, the Crew Leader is responsible for helping to reach out to local and regional community groups to recruit volunteers.
This is a part-time, limited term position not to exceed an average of 20 hours per week each month (90 hours per month) from May 16th to October 15th. The work schedule will be variable and based around scheduled projects. Base location for this position is either Tofte or Cook, MN.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, coworkers and Forest Service staff.
- Ability to work with limited supervision in a field and office environment.
- Flexibility and adaptability as schedule and project plans and logistics may change.
- Leadership experience – ability to successfully organize and direct the work of volunteers.
- Ability to keep neat and accurate records and reports.
- Motivation and willingness to work non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends.
- Safety conscious in a backcountry setting.
- Multi-day backcountry camping experience and canoeing experience.
- Ability to work in physically strenuous conditions.
- Ability to carry 50 lb. tool pack and associated camping gear.
- Ability to commit to season dates (mid-May to mid-October, 2019).
Additional experience that would be desirable for this position:
- Experience working with/overseeing volunteers.
- Experience with trail building and maintenance.
- Experience using tools such as cross-cut saws, chainsaws, hand saws, etc.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
- Pay rate of $15 per hour for an average of 20 hours per week.
- $30 per diem reimbursement during wilderness projects.
- Living quarters at a USFS Ranger Station bunkhouse (in either Tofte or Cook) if desired.
- Mileage reimbursement when driving a personal vehicle to and from projects/meetings.
- USFS Saw Certification
- CPR/First Aid Certification
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to Laurel Wilson at [email protected]. We will begin reviewing applications and scheduling interviews on February 7th. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Related Jobs (10)
- Outdoor Enthusiast Social Media Content Specialist (Remote) on September 10, 2019 Year Round
- Ski/Snowboard Rental Delivery Driver-Northstar Village Rentals on August 25, 2019 Seasonal