Cabin Counselor and Activity Instructor
Are you looking for the most rewarding, fun, and memorable job of your life?
Where else could you get paid to:
- Work outdoors all summer teaching activities you are passionate about?
- Make a positive impact on young children’s lives?
- Laugh, cry, sing and cheer for your job?
- Experience new adventures in the Northwoods of Wisconsin?
- Meet people from all over the world?
- Develop critical skills that will impact your future career goals?
- Have fun for two months straight?!
There is no better leadership training and enrichment opportunity found anywhere else than working at camp. You will improve your communication skills working with people of all ages and backgrounds, develop conflict resolution skills whenever an issue comes up in your cabin, learn how to balance your time during a very busy day, and experience personal growth along the way. Not to mention, you’ll make memories that will last a lifetime and create new friendships with people from all around the world. And get paid to have fun all summer with very limited expenses! Every year we hear from previous staff members how impactful working at North Star was in helping them develop skills that benefited them later in their careers.
We won't sugarcoat it though: working at camp is a demanding job. The hours are long and there is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. It will challenge you physically, mentally, and emotionally. The rewards of working at camp, though, greatly outweigh the challenges of the job. You have the opportunity to positively impact the lives of children and other staff, spend your summer outdoors, having fun. Come join us!
If you are interested in learning more, please fill out our interest form at https://bit.ly/NSCHiring
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Who We Are
North Star Camp is a residential boys summer camp located in Hayward, Wisconsin. Every summer, approximately 300 campers come to the shores of Spider Lake to make new friends, learn new skills, grow as individuals and make memories that last a lifetime. Our incredible staff come from all over the world to create a nurturing and fun environment. We are actively hiring great role models who are energetic, collaborative and hard working to join the team for this summer. Ready to make a difference and have the best summer of your life? We’d love to have you apply!
The Role In A Nutshell
We’re looking for Cabin Counselors to live in a bunk and work collaboratively with 1-3 co-counselors, serving as mentors for approximately 8-12 campers. Our Cabin Counselors also serve as Activity Instructors, leading program instruction throughout the day. This role starts June 10 and runs through August 12, with the potential to continue through early September.
A Typical Day (even though there’s no such thing as a typical day at camp…)
- Wake up your cabin and get them ready for a day filled with fun and adventure
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with your campers and co-counselors
- Oversee cabin cleanup and ensure campers keep their area tidy — oh, and remind them to shower and brush their teeth too
- Lead and/or assist activities during program periods, always keeping safety in mind
- Prepare for and participate in evening programs (campfires, skit shows, capture the flag)
- Provide comfort to a homesick camper who is looking for a trustworthy adult
- Tell age appropriate bedtime stories to your campers to wind down after a fun-filled day
- Hang out with other staff members by the fire or play some late night pickup basketball
This Job Might Be For You If:
- You’re a good role model. The role of camp counselor is a hybrid of being a big brother and a parent. You’ll always need to model exemplary behavior while also creating a safe and inclusive environment.
- You’re responsible. Whether it’s showing up to your activity area on time and providing enthusiastic instruction or ensuring the campers are using proper equipment at all times, the emotional and physical wellbeing of our campers is of utmost importance.
- You’re a great listener. Campers will confide in counselors when there’s an issue with the cabin. You’ll need to hear all sides of the story and help resolve the conflict so it doesn’t pop up again. It’s not always what you hear with your ears though — you’ll need to pick up on nonverbal cues and body language to uncover issues that may be bubbling up beneath the surface.
- You enjoy providing support and positive reinforcement. Campers are often away from home for the first time and can find themselves out of their comfort zone. Whether it’s reminding a camper to put on sunscreen or helping a scared camper overcome his fears on the climbing wall, you’re always willing to offer a helping hand.
- You’re an excellent communicator and team player. You’ll live in a cabin with 1-3 co-counselors and will directly report to a village director. Making sure everyone is on the same page is crucial to providing a positive camp experience for all the campers in your cabin.
- You’re calm under pressure. Things move a mile a minute at camp. When a problem arises, you’ll need to be cool under pressure and spring into action to help solve it safely and efficiently.
- You’re open to feedback. Working with kids can be challenging, whether it’s your first time or you’re a seasoned veteran. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it – our leadership team has worked in the camping industry for years and is happy to support you.
- You’re willing to share your hidden talents with camp. Can you jump rope while balancing a cup of water on your head as you sing “Wagon Wheel” with perfect pitch? Know how to play the ukulele and harmonica? Campers love to see our staff members’ hidden talents and we’d love to see yours too!
Activity Areas We Hire For
- Athletics: Basketball – Boxing – Disc Golf – Fitness Training – Football – Golf – Hockey – Soccer – Softball – Tennis – Ultimate Frisbee
- Watersports: Fishing – Sailing – Swimming – Waterskiing – Wakeboarding – Windsurfing
- Outdoor Adventure: Archery – Biking – Canoeing – Camping Skills – Riflery – Rock Climbing
- Creative Arts: Arts & Crafts – Ceramics – Guitar – Model Rocketry
Perks Of The Job
- A competitive salary
- Room and board (3 meals a day and snacks at night) for the entire summer
- Travel expense reimbursement
- A beautiful camp surrounded by a stunning waterfront
- New friendships and memories that will last a lifetime
- All the s’mores you can imagine
Essential Functions Needed For This Role
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Additional tasks and duties as assigned