Colorado Canyons Association fosters community stewardship, education, and awareness of our National Conservation Lands with a focus on McInnis Canyons, Dominguez-Escalante, and Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Areas (NCAs) in western Colorado.
The ideal candidate is professional, proactive, dependable, with a “team first” drive. A River Guide & Outdoor Educator will always jump in to support their team without question. The candidate will support the supervisory staff with rig/derig tasks. The candidate will attend and participate in regular training delivered by the supervisory staff. They can successfully maneuver a raft, read river currents, prepare meals, and facilitate programming in varied environments.
The candidate must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive in the tri-county area and must be able to pass a background check. The candidate should supply a commercial river log if applicable. Candidate must have basic first aid and CPR training to do this job.
1. After training, candidate must demonstrate safe boat handling skills in paddle, oar, and/or motorized crafts on Class I to Class III whitewater ensuring minimum risk to passengers and crew.
2. Float rips are led on the Ruby-Horsethief section of the Colorado River, and various sections of the Gunnison River. Guides are in the field from one to three days at a time and must be comfortable leading meaningful learning experiences for youth, as well as high-end adult adventures.
3. Must actively participate as an equal crew member in the work of rigging, de-rigging, packing, unpacking, setting up camp, and camp maintenance. Candidate must be capable of sustained physical activity including but not limited to rowing, paddling, hiking, loading and unloading gear, and swimming in swift current. Must be capable of constant lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds. Occasional lifting/carrying of up to 100 lbs. required.
4. Must actively participate in the packing and unpacking of all equipment related to a trip. Unpacking after a trip includes the cleaning, drying, and the proper storage of equipment, cleaning of vans and trailers as well as facility upkeep and organization.
5. Must complete assigned or delegated trip paperwork in a neat and timely manner. Must proactively work with management to keep employment documents, including copies of licenses and certifications, up to date. Must complete and turn in incident and/or other safety reports immediately following an incident.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and a list of three references (name, email, phone) to [email protected] Please include commercial river log (if applicable). When you apply, it would be best to be aware of your seasonal availability, your desire for part/full time employment and your preferences for Trip Leader responsibility.
Resumes will be received between Friday, December 2, 2022, through Sunday, January 1, 2023. Please enjoy your holiday season and expect contact regarding your resume no earlier than January 3, 2023.
River Guide & Outdoor Educator - $16 - $17/hour + overtime pay for overnight trips
River Guide & Outdoor Educator (Trip Leader) - $18 - $19/hour + overtime pay for overnight trips
Other Benefits: All guides will receive an end-of-season bonus upon season completion, a gear/certification reimbursement up to $250 at the beginning of the season, access to pro-deals and discounted gear, provided meals during programming, and paid sick time.
Ideal candidates possess:
• Colorado Raft guide qualifications
• Previous experience working with youth, outdoor/environmental education and teaching preferred
• Proficient, conservative, and safe boat handling skills in paddle rafts and/or oar rafts
• Familiarity with the Colorado & Gunnison Rivers
• Current WFA/WFR; Basic First Aid and CPR certifications are required
• Clean driving record and valid driver's license
• Capacity for sustained physical activity, including but not limited to rowing, paddling, hiking, loading and unloading gear, and swimming in swift current
Additional qualifications for Trip Leader position includes:
• Trip Leader credentials in good standing as per CPW regulations
• Leadership and group management experience is preferred
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.