Outdoor Recreation Facilitator – Skowhegan Outdoors is seeking adventurous outdoor recreation enthusiasts to join the AmeriCorps Program team in the capacity of Outdoor Recreation Facilitators (ORF). ORFs will coordinate and lead outdoor recreation programming, manage a community gear library, and build the capacity of the organization through volunteer recruitment and management. OFRs will inspire others through outdoor recreation, think creatively and execute new and exciting community programs, and hone and develop new skills via training and professional development opportunities. All Outdoor Recreation Facilitators (ORF) will:
• Work as a team to plan outdoor recreation activities, trainings, events, and workshops.
• Lead and co-lead multiple community outdoor recreation programs each week, in collaboration with other ORFs, Main Street Skowhegan staff, and volunteers.
• Organize details of outdoor recreation programs, reserving location and transportation, securing equipment.
• Track program registrations and communicate program details to registrants.
• Co-lead after-school programming for middle school students weekly.
• Draft program descriptions and emergency action plans (EAPs) before leading each community outdoor recreation program.
• Collect and record data and anecdotal information after leading each community outdoor recreation program. In addition to collaborating on the responsibilities listed above, the ORF Community Outreach Coordinator will work with volunteers and partner organizations, including the MSAD54 REACH After School Program, Somerset Woods Trustees, Somerset Public Health, Skowhegan Area High School Outing Club, and others, to execute collaborative programs and trainings. Specific responsibilities of the ORF Community Outreach Coordinator will include:
• Work with the Skowhegan Outdoors Program Coordinator to build relationships with community partners and volunteers.
• Collaborate with R.E.A.C.H. After School Program staff to plan and execute weekly afterschool programs for local middle school students.
• Coordinate with Somerset Woods Trustees, Somerset Public Health, and others to plan collaborative programming and activities.
• Assist with Skowhegan Area High School Outing Club activities.
• Assist Skowhegan Outdoors Program Coordinator in developing a volunteer management plan.
• Train and engage volunteers via volunteer-only trips, skills workshops, and activities.
• Develop and execute volunteer appreciation program. Position Perks, Training, and Professional Development ORFs will work hard and play hard. Each OFR will enjoy opportunities to scout new locations for activities and programs while logging service hours. OFRs will also practice, hone, and learn new skills in outdoor recreation, marketing, event and program management, volunteer leadership, and other areas of interest. Each member will have the opportunity to take advantage of:
• Wilderness First Aid certification • Lifeguard and/or ACA Swiftwater Rescue training
• Outdoor recreation skills trainings as deemed necessary for program execution, including whitewater paddling, mountain biking, or other
• Outdoor recreation skills trainings as determined by individual interest (as budget allows)
• Regular lunch & learn trainings led by staff, volunteers, and peers
• Federal- and state-sponsored AmeriCorps training and professional development programs Position Requirements and Information Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Outdoor recreation skills
• Facilitation skills
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Able to communicate in an effective, diplomatic, and courteous manner
• Detail-oriented with strong time-management and organizational skills
• Self-motived and able to manage multiple projects independently
• Experience in outdoor recreation leadership • Knowledge of proper outdoor gear and clothing
• Comfortable working with all age groups, including children
• Able to lift, carry, or otherwise move and position a minimum of 50 pounds
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Proficiency with navigating the internet and knowledge of social media platforms
• Enthusiastic and physically capable of performing essential functions Helpful knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• First Aid and CPR
• Familiarity and/or proficiency with email management software, Adobe Creative Suite or Canva, and/or WordPress (website CMS)
• Knowledge of legal and risk management issues related to outdoor recreation Additional position details:
• Must be 21 years of age.
• Must be a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
• This is a full-time position that runs January to December 2022. If the program is a good fit, ORFs may have the option to extend their service term.
• ORFs will serve 30-40 hours per week with evening and weekend work required.
• Members will have two days offer per week and one weekend off each month. Additional paid time off may be requested in advance.
About the Skowhegan Outdoors AmeriCorps Initiative The Skowhegan Outdoors Initiative—a program of Main Street Skowhegan—is an effort to ensure that everyone in the Skowhegan community has equitable access to the outdoors, opportunities to participate in free outdoor activities, and the tools to experience the natural world on their own. Skowhegan Outdoors will help bring people together through shared experiences, promote our outdoor spaces and facilities, and catalyze a shift toward a more active lifestyle in Skowhegan—a lifestyle that is accessible to everyone. Skowhegan Outdoors is inclusive, free, and open to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or religion.
About Main Street Skowhegan, Our Values, and Recruitment Commitment Main Street Skowhegan (MSS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit focused on the ongoing revitalization of Skowhegan, Maine. Our mission is to celebrate Skowhegan’s rich heritage while achieving our brightest future as a thriving economic, cultural, and recreational community where residents enjoy a high quality of life. Main Street Skowhegan believes our community is for everyone. At the core of our approach to revitalization is a commitment to creating places of shared prosperity, equitable access to opportunity, and inclusive engagement. Main Street Skowhegan models and champions this vision through our actions and programs. The future success of our society and our economy depends directly on our inclusivity, engagement, and equal treatment of a broad constituency of stakeholders. These stakeholders—including residents, visitors, entrepreneurs, and customers—create a thriving community. We will select individuals for service with our organization who share similar values and who possess leadership potential and show commitment to the goals of the AmeriCorps program. We will do so in a non-partisan, non-political, non-discriminatory manner, ensuring fair access to participation.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.