The Development Director works collaboratively with Thorne’s Executive Director to develop and implement a
strategic plan to raise funds for Thorne.
The Development Director is a leadership position focused on the strategic direction, growth, and overall
management of the development department. This includes development and implementation of the annual
fundraising plan, donor relations, individual giving, business partnerships (gifts and in-kind contributions), foundation
philanthropy, grant writing, special events, reporting, and community outreach to meet revenue goals and promote
the organizational mission.
A successful Development Director is an autonomous worker, detail and goal oriented, with demonstrated skill in
relationship building, project support, information management, and verbal and written communication. She/he/they
will work in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board to increase annual revenue in support of expanded
programming and mission impact as called for within Thorne’s new and ambitious strategic plan.
The ultimate goal is to help donors fulfill their passions and interests in providing joyful, hands on nature
experiences to build the next generation of Earth stewards through their giving to Thorne.Desired Outcomes:
• Successful design and execution of annual fundraising plan
• Increased number of corporate and foundation donors and advancement of current donors to higher giving
• Development and implementation of a sophisticated individual giving program resulting in a significant increase
membership and major gift donations
• Demonstrated leadership and engagement as member of Thorne’s Senior Leadership Team
• Strong relationships with Board Members and collaboration on fundraising efforts
• Bachelor's degree; at least 5 years of documented professional experience directly related to the duties and
responsibilities specified. Executive-level private sector sales with extensive nonprofit board-level experience
would also be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate and expand donor relationships
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and roles, patiently and professionally in a
• Acute attention to detail
• Ability to communicate effectively with multiple audiences ranging from Thorne Staff and Board and volunteers
to corporate, foundation, and individual donors and community partners and parents and children
• Effective at working with people of diverse backgrounds and levels of experience
• Capable of working as a member of a team and independently
• Excellent proofreading and writing skills
• Proficient with MS Office Suite and donor management software
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
• Spanish language skills
Desired Behavioral Traits and Attitudes:
Leader, team player, detail-oriented, results-oriented, organized, responsive, creative, resourceful, critical thinker,
fun, outgoing, and self-motivated. Passionate about Thorne’s mission and environmentally concerned and aware.
• Thorne Staff
• Thorne Board of Trustees
• Key Funders and Partners
• Key Customers and Vendors
Some weekend and evening hours are required. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background check.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2021 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.