Camp Nebagamon is seeking a Rock Climbing Instructor (or Specialist) for their 2023 camp season. At Camp Nebagamon, our campers challenge themselves and try new things every day, and use our outdoor 50′ top rope and bouldering rock climbing wall to set and achieve goals. The Rock Climbing Instructor is responsible for providing an engaging and exciting curriculum that helps campers push themselves to achieve more at our climbing wall, and learn more about the technique and safety associated with rock climbing. The Rock Climbing Specialist’s specific responsibilities include daily planning and executing of four hours of rock climbing programming, in coordination with the Program Director, with groups of between 2 and 8 campers at a time. The Rock Climbing Specialist oversees three to four additional staff members who will assist with the education and supervision of campers during instructional time. The Rock Climbing Instructor maintains all equipment and records, such as rope use logs, route setting, climbing safety equipment, etc. Dates for Climbing Wall Instructor are 6/10/2023 to 8/12/2023, including a one-week staff training period and an eight-week camping session. Working at Camp Nebagamon offers a variety of recreational opportunities as well as the chance to be a part of a professional, vibrant camp community. Salary is negotiable based on experience and need, starting at $3,500 for the Summer. Room, board, laundry and travel allowance are provided.
Current American Mountain Guides Association Climbing Wall Instructor certification, or ability to obtain one. Experience rock climbing, including top-rope, climbing and belaying. Outdoor Education background. Experience with designing and planning exciting, engaging, and educating rock climbing curricula. Ability to work as a part of a team and relate to peers. Desire and ability to work with children. Ability to adapt to situations and respond to changing circumstances.
1. Ability to educate campers of all ages and skill levels in rock climbing environment, safety regulations and emergency procedures.
2. Physical ability to safely operate all necessary climbing wall
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
4. Abilities to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply suitable behavior-management techniques
5. Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid
6. Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct the climbing program to achieve camper development objectives
1. Execute teaching of climbing program, including safety orientations, belaying, climbing technique, etc. Monitor safe and proper use of climbing wall and equipment. Foster in campers an appreciation of taking safe risks and goal setting, and an excitement to achieve on our rock wall.
2. Supervise and identify safety and environmental hazards, ensuring all campers and staff participants are engaging in best practices. Respond to issues of safety appropriately and promptly.
3. Maintain records and equipment, set-up and clean-up of programming materials and activities
4. Support the larger camp program for all-camp programming events as a member of the Specialist team (for example, an all-camp Independence Day carnival, or all-camp color wars)
Camp Nebagamon is hallowed ground to thousands of campers who have been coming here since 1929. Located in northwestern Wisconsin, not far from the shores of Lake Superior in the heart of Wisconsin’s Northwoods, Camp Nebagamon is a traditional boys residential summer camp. Our youngest campers have completed the third grade, and the oldest have finished their freshman year of high school. Campers and staff hail from states all over the nation as well as international destinations. We have approximately 230 campers and 130 staff members, and we offer four- or eight-week sessions. At Camp Nebagamon, we create a refuge from the real world structured to foster and nurture a boy’s development. Through a tremendous level of daily choice, boys are free to explore different talents, interests, and sides of their personalities. Our goal at Nebagamon is NOT to determine who is the best athlete or canoeist or artist…rather, our goal for every camper is that he enjoys participating and learning.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.