The Catskill Center preserves and enriches the environmental, economic and cultural well-being of the Catskill region through collaboration, inspiration and stewardship. We believe that the vitality and prosperity of the Catskills depend on robust collaboration, thriving local communities and the wise stewardship of our natural resources. To learn more visit www.catskillcenter.org. The Congressman Maurice D. Hinchey Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) serves as the Catskill Park’s visitor center and is managed by the Catskill Center in partnership with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Its mission is to help visitors learn about the natural, recreational, cultural and historical resources of the Catskills. The CVC offers interpretive exhibits, a gift shop featuring locally themed books and souvenirs, accessible nature trails, a pavilion, a fire tower, and year-round events for all ages and interests. To learn more visit www.catskillsvisitorcenter.org. TO APPLY Send a complete application package to [email protected], including: 1. Cover letter, specifying how you learned about this position and whether you are applying for a full time or part time position. 2. Resume 3. Contact information for three professional references Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
We are searching for motivated and reliable seasonal Visitor Services Assistants to
aid visitors at the Catskills Visitor Center (CVC) in Mount Tremper, NY. Visitor Services
Assistants will help support a well-informed experience for visitors to the Catskill
Park by providing information and education programs to the public at the CVC.
Full-time and Part-time positions available.
Applicants who enjoy working with the public, love the outdoors and would like to
help educate visitors about the Catskill Park may be a great fit for this position.
A part-time Visitor Services Assistant would be anticipated to work 3 days per week,
21 hours a week including weekends and holidays from mid-May through
mid-October. A full-time Visitor Services Assistant would be anticipated to work
Thursday through Monday, 35 hours a week including weekends and holidays from
mid-May through mid-October. This is an inside-based position with some outdoor
work and is located at the CVC at 5096 State Rte. 28, Mount Tremper, NY.
Under the supervision of the CVC Manager, the Visitor Services Assistants will:
● Welcome and educate visitors about the CVC, the Catskill Park, and the Catskill
Forest Preserve as appropriate
● Familiarize visitors with the CVC and the Catskill Center
● Suggest Catskills-wide recreation destinations
● Assist in the gift shop, restocking inventory and handling
● Traverse the on-site trails to identify any safety issues and remove trash
and/or small branches blocking trails
● Assist with program preparation, which could include moving picnic tables,
installing lawn signs, preparing supplies, etc.
● Support Catskills Visitor Center colleagues with other tasks, as needed
● Maintain records of visitor numbers and other key interactions
● Open and close the Visitor Center’s Upper Esopus Fire Tower, daily
● Assist with regular cleaning duties, including garbage removal, restroom
cleaning, mopping, and other basic tasks
● Report any issues needing immediate attention
● Complete other tasks as requested
● Demonstrated success in customer service or working with the public
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Ability to work with minimal supervision
● Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
● Ascend and descend on-site fire tower (approx. 80 ft of stairs)
● Ability to lift 30 lbs.
Strong candidates will also have the following qualifications:
● Knowledge of natural history, ecology, recreational opportunities, and/or
communities of the Catskill Park
● Empathy and patience
● Passion for the environment and/or the Catskills
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.