Wild Society is a wilderness education nonprofit based in Kitsap County, WA. Our mission is to cultivate wonder and belonging in the natural world. Wild Society runs a variety of programs including Backpacking Camps, Junior Naturalist day programs, Adult & Family trips, and partner programs with other local nonprofits and community organizations. Our community of guides is made up of a variety of ages, professional and personal backgrounds, and skill sets.
Backcountry Guides are responsible for guiding and teaching Backpacking Camps for 12-18 year olds in the Olympic Mountains. Our curriculum is built around natural history, basic backpacking skills, and wilderness awareness, taught within a culture of gratitude and respect. Guides must share these values and should have their own strong relationship with the backcountry. All trips have two guides and up to 10 participants. Wild Society programs follow a daily structure that incorporates reflection, direct instruction, and exploration. Guides engage participants throughout the day to encourage deeper understanding of and connection to the natural world.
● Guide campers ages 12-18 on 4-8 day backcountry backpacking trips in the Olympic Mountains, departing from Kingston, WA.
● Collaborate with a co-guide on all aspects of the trip.
● Teach Wild Society curriculum including; daily structure, basic backpacking skills, leadership, Leave No Trace, natural history, and wilderness awareness skills.
● Maintain an environment of safety through adherence to Wild Society policies, as well as maintaining a general attitude of safety and risk prevention.
● Leading and teaching in culturally responsive ways to a diverse client base.
● Participate in pre- and post-trip preparation including, but not limited to, gear and food packing, camper information review, de-issuing gear, and post trip reporting.
● Adhere to all National Park and National Forest regulations.
● $20/hour for frontcountry work, $150/day in the field.
● Full time, variable hours and schedule.
● WFR course reimbursement; 50% for initial certification or full cost of recertification.
● If needed, we can assist guides in finding low cost housing.
● Experience with backcountry trips.
● 21+ by the start of the season.
● Valid driver's license.
● Ability to pass a comprehensive background check.
● Strong sense of personal relationship with the natural world.
● Experience working with youth 12-18 years old.
● Hold a valid Wilderness First Responder certification prior to start date.
● Proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
● Drive to help the organization continually reexamine practices to center ourselves around justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.