Sea Kayak Operations Manager
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Description of Organization
ETC is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts one- to three-day Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities, as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for under-resourced youth.
The Operations Manager is a seasonal 7- to 8-month position. The Operations Manager is responsible for supervising and training volunteers and other seasonal staff, for leading sea kayak trips on San Francisco and Tomales Bays from one to five days in length, for the management of program operations on San Francisco and Tomales Bays, and for being the point person on equipment maintenance and upkeep.
The Operations Manager works closely with the Sea Kayak Program Manager, Program Associate, 1-3 seasonal Field Interns, and ETC’s volunteer Trip Leaders and Guides.
Duties & Responsibilities
- 50% Acting as Trip Leader on trips and trainings
- Lead and mentor a team of guides and interns to facilitate one- to five-day sea kayak trips in variable conditions for people with special needs, under-resourced youth, and benefit groups
- Provide safe, educational, and fun outdoor experiences for ETC participants
- Evaluate on-water conditions and group abilities to make decisions on safety
- Facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
- Organize and support environmental education trainings and kayak skills trainings for new and current Guides
- Further develop environmental education resources and role model stewardship-oriented curriculum
- 50% Managing program facilities and equipment and providing logistical support to the Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Oversight of San Francisco Bay and Tomales Bay equipment storage locations
- Responsible for the upkeep, maintenance, and inventory of kayaks and other program equipment
- Assist in managing program logistics including equipment purchasing and sales, developing menus and conducting food buys, and moving equipment between program sites
- Drive company vehicles to transport equipment and support program logistics
The Operations Manager will primarily work from our Sausalito and Tomales Bay locations.
- Experience with boat maintenance, carpentry, or related repair skills, or desire to learn
- 1+ year sea kayak guiding experience
- Previous experience in kayak trip leader role (managing a team of guides) highly desired
- Previous outdoor and/or environmental education experience highly desired
- Ability to set a positive tone while supervising diverse groups of people, preferably in an outdoor education setting
- Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Experience working with youth or people with disabilities a plus
- Able to work independently and comfortable working on multiple projects at a time
- High level of attention to detail
- Reliable transportation to Sausalito, CA, and Inverness, CA for office work and trips. Experience driving large vehicles and trailers preferred
- CPR and First Aid Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder strongly preferred)
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Participation in ETC Trip Leader Training
- February 25-26 in Tomales Bay and Sausalito
- Participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School
- April 1-2 in Tomales Bay
- April 14-17 in Sausalito/Angel Island
- March 29, April 12, April 26 – Virtual Evening Sessions
- Participation in ETC’s Inclusion Training
- May 20-21 in at ETC’s river camp, Coloma CA
- Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Ongoing skills development throughout employment
Term & Commitment
- February/March through October/November (flexible start-end dates as long as candidate can attend the above trainings)
- 22 days per month. The Operations Manager will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips.
- Up to three weeks of unpaid time off can be scheduled during the season and should coincide with program needs
- Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Monthly salary DOE starting at $3,000/month. If more or fewer than 22 days are worked in a month, pay will be pro-rated accordingly.
- Use of ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
- Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers