Employee Housing & Activities Coordinator
Summer Jobs on Isle Royale - one of America's most unique National Parks!
Visitors accommodations are accessible only by boat or seaplane. Rock Harbor Lodge has guest rooms with private baths, housekeeping cottages, and services include a dining room, snack bar, gift shop, dockside store, marina, rental motorboats, kayaks and canoes, guided fishing and sightseeing tours.
Pristine, remote Isle Royale National Park - located in the northwest of Lake Superior and part of the U.S. state of Michigan.
$12 - $14 / hour
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Experience the northwoods at remote Isle Royale National Park, located in northwestern Lake Superior. Accessible only by boat or seaplane, Isle Royale is home to moose, wolves, loons, beaver, fox, and other small mammals and birdlife. Lake Superior and the island’s inland lakes offer excellent fishing and photographic sites for viewing pristine forest and waterways. Diving opportunities abound to many shipwrecks of Lake Superior.
Rock Harbor Lodge provides visitors accommodations and we employ team members in our dining room, snack bar, gift shop, dockside store, marina, motor boat, kayak and canoe rentals, guided fishing and sightseeing tours, and other fun and fulfilling positions. Join us for a summer in this unique National Park!
The Employee Activities & Housing Coordinator oversees the general orderliness, cleanliness and safety of staff housing areas and is responsible for creating, communicating, organizing, and running company-sponsored events and activities for team members.
Employee Activities Responsibilities:
- Maintains a calendar of events for staff; Researches, plans, develops, determines the frequency of a variety of company-sponsored, team member-focused events and activities both on- and off-property.
- Researches, costs, recommends, acquires and maintains equipment and supplies for events and activities while staying within budget.
- Uses a variety of methods, including a computer, to communicate events and activities to team members; creates and posts flyers, communicates via appropriate social media channels, makes announcements, etc.
- Communicates in a positive guest service and enthusiastic manner that encourages participation in events and positive employee relations with management.
- Plans and coordinates events with appropriate department managers.
- Remains informed of near-by programs and events and ensure the same are offered to employees; Coordinates on-property events with third parties as required.
- Organizes and provides transportation for trips to near-by shopping, cultural events, and places of interest.
- Coordinates travel with appropriate HR and Transportation staff.
Employee Housing Duties:
- Greets new staff and give a short tour of the housing area; checks individuals into and out of housing and issues bed linens and towels.
- Communicates and conducts room inspections and reports any damage to Human Resources.
- Finds and tracks housing maintenance issues, places maintenance requests, ensures completion of maintenance tickets and maintain records.
- Works with Human Resources to coordinate and advises team members of new roommate arrivals in advance.
- Maintains a clean and safe living environment inside and outside housing buildings; Vacuums carpets, sweeps and mops floors, cleans stairwells, washes windows, removes trash, empties recycle bins, dusts and cleans housing lobbies, entrances and laundry rooms.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies; Distributes, tracks and ensures retrieval of items that are loaned out.
- Assists in maintaining and enforcing the recycling program in housing areas.
- Conducts Environmental and Safety Inspections.
- Communicates and enforces housing Emergency Procedures for all residents and handle emergency phone calls as necessary.
- Knows and follows all company, Environmental, Health, and Safety Management Programs and policies.
- Ensures all events, activities, and attendees follow and remain compliant with company, safety, and other related policies, Programs, and laws at all times.
- Works extra shifts and hours as required.
- Assists in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Read, write, speak and understand English effectively.
- Excellent verbal written and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly adapt to change.
- Good computer skills including familiarity with MS Office.
- Good public speaking skills.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to calmly and effectively resolve employee problems and concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Excellent supervisory and/or management skills.
- Knowledge of proper use of cleaning supplies and proper cleaning techniques.
- Self-motivation skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to deal calmly and effectively in stressful or emergency situations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- Must be able to understand normal conversation and accurately communicate information.
- Ability to stand and walk on paved, unpaved, uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Climb stairs and ladders occasionally.
- Ability to repetitively balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, turn, and grasp; Reach down, forward and overhead frequently.
- Push and Push a cart on inclining/declining surfaces.
- Must be able to operate a computer and remain seated for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- The worker is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions: Adverse conditions may include extreme heat and/or cold, wind, humidity and sometimes inclement weather.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent and 2 years of work experience coordinating group events, recreational activities, customer service or other work within travel and hospitality, or equivalent combination of work experience and education required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Event Management, Recreation, Hospitality or similar discipline preferred.
Isle Royale Resorts, LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.