Top Reasons To Work At Fernwood Cove This Summer
- Develop valuable leadership, communication, time management, and problem solving skills while making lifelong friendships.
- Serve as a mentor and role model to Fernwood Cove Staff, Campers, and CITs.
- Join a safe and supportive global community with a focus on personal growth for all
- Work in the beautiful surroundings of Maine alongside young adults with a similar drive and passion to make an impact as yourself.
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
This summer get paid to make a positive impact, develop professional skills, and have FUN!
Located in the Lakes Region of southwest Maine, Fernwood Cove is a girls’ half-season overnight summer camp. We are currently seeking dedicated and creative-thinking applicants for our Horsemanship Program. Work as a part of a united team under the guidance of a seasoned horsemanship professional this summer!
Horsemanship instructors are directly supervised the Natural Horsemanship Program Head who has decades of experience and is a Natural Horsemanship Trainer and PATH certified Instructor. Horsemanship Instructors can expect to work approximately 60 hours a week during a seven-day work week. All Horsemanship Instructors participate in our extensive two week Horsemanship Program training. Additionally, all Fernwood Cove staff participate in the full ten-day Fernwood Cove staff training. Opportunities for First Aid and CPR/AED certification are also available.
Internship opportunities are also available:
Specific learning objectives are guided by the professional goals and academic requirements of each intern. General learning objectives include developing leadership, communication, and organizational skills as they relate to equine health and safety, equine management, riding instruction, staff coordination, and overall program operations. Interns receive regular feedback regarding performance, growth, and needed improvements. Additionally, interns regularly assess their progress towards meeting personal, professional, and academic goals.
Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Seasonal lodging, meals, and laundry service are provided for all staff.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong personal experience in horsemanship and riding. English and Western riders welcomed.
- Prior experience instructing lessons, coaching, or working with children.
- Prior experience in daily horse care and completion of barn chores.
- Have a strong desire to learn while also contributing to the overall success of Fernwood Cove programs.
- Highly motivated and able to complete tasks without direct supervision.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to traverse uneven and hilly terrain and work in a highly active environment.