Yellowstone Day Hiking Guide
Work while exploring Yellowstone National Park! Share your love for the outdoors with visitors from around the world. Commute through Yellowstone for your daily drive. Spend your season (May-September) walking through herds of bison, steaming thermal features and untamed wild lands.
We are a small company with flexibility. Our office is located near world class recreational opportunities: national forest trails, Madison River Access and other unparalleled outdoor recreation. Live, work and play in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem with Yellowstone Hiking Guides!
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Day-long interpretive hiking tours in Yellowstone National Park’s backcountry and frontcountry:
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Rim Hike
- 5-7 miles hiking at high elevation
- 3-5 day/week (depending on your personal schedule)
Guides must share the same work/moral ethics Yellowstone Hiking Guides outlines in Guide School. We work hard for the entire season. We work cold snowy mornings. We work long, hot days. We like folks who commit to excellence. We like leaders who have a passion for outdoor education. We like Guides who like to have fun!
We are a small family business. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide housing at this time. But, the Driftwaters RV Resort has great options for our employees! Dry camping spaces and travel trailer hookups are available. A shower/bath house is available. Driftwood Bar and Bistro restaurant onsite. Brown bag lunches and breakfast snack provided on workdays.
First Year Guides must complete YHG Guide School to secure employment (May 27-31, 2024)
YHG Guide School:
- $75/participant (plus certification fees for those without credentials)
- One week training program prior to employment
- 3 days in class
- YHG program
- Wilderness First Aid
- Certified Interpretive Guide
- Leave No Trace
- Food Handlers training
- Yellowstone National Park Guide Training Program (NPS)
- 2 days shadowing a lead guide in Yellowstone National Park
- 5 days total training
Expected work week hours: 40 – 60 per week
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Professional discounts
The ideal candidates for Yellowstone Hiking Guides have the following qualifications:
- Wilderness First Aid or Responder (WFA can be obtained during YHG Guide School for a fee)
- Leave No Trace certificate (can be obtained during YHG Guide School for a fee)
- Certified Interpretive Guide (can be obtained during YHG Guide School for a fee)
- Previous guiding experience
- Ability to follow directions (and the YHG program)
- Ability to work solo shifts
- Ability to hike at high elevation (3-5 days/week, depending on your schedule)
- Clean driving record
- Ability to drive on mountain roads
- Ability to live remotely
- 21-years-old or older
- Knowledge of Yellowstone National Park flora, fauna, and history
- Mountain travel safety skills (weather, water, etc.)
- Morning person
- Dazzling personality; able to talk to and entertain people from all walks of life
- Ability to communicate in layman terms
*If you don't have all of these qualifications, please let us know why you feel you are an ideal candidate anyway.