Sea Kayak Program Associate
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Description of Organization
ETC is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that provides outdoor adventure and environmental education experiences for people of all abilities. ETC conducts one- to three-day Sea Kayak, Whitewater Rafting, and Cross Country Skiing trips for youth and adults from under-resourced backgrounds and people with disabilities, as well as extended Youth Leadership Programs for under-resourced youth.
The Program Associate is a seasonal 7- to 8month position. The Program Associate is responsible for supervising and training volunteers and other seasonal staff, for leading sea kayak trips on San Francisco and Tomales Bays from one to five days in length, for developing and teaching environmental education curriculum, and for providing administrative support, such as pre- and post-trip communications, agency and volunteer outreach, and trip staffing.
The Program Associate works closely with the Sea Kayak Program Manager, Operations Manager, 1-3 seasonal Field Interns, and ETC’s volunteer Trip Leaders and Guides.
Duties & Responsibilities
- 60% Acting as Trip Leader on trips and trainings
- Lead and mentor a team of guides and interns to facilitate one- to five-day sea kayak trips in variable conditions for people with special needs, under-resourced youth, and benefit groups
- Provide safe, educational, and fun outdoor experiences for ETC participants
- Evaluate on-water conditions and group abilities to make decisions on safety
- Facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
- Organize and support environmental education trainings and kayak skills trainings for new and current Guides
- Further develop environmental education resources and role model stewardship-oriented curriculum
- 40% Providing administrative and logistical support to the Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Assist with volunteer guide communications and outreach
- Assist with trip staffing
- Plan trip logistics with client agencies and partners
- Prepare pre-trip communications with Trip Leaders and Guides
- Assist with trip evaluation and follow-up
- Support cleanup, organization, and maintenance projects at storage facilities and overnight locations
- Other administrative and logistical duties as assigned
The Program Associate will frequently guide trips from our Sausalito and Tomales Bay locations. Other work can be completed remotely or from ETC offices in Fort Mason with the expectation to work from the office 1-2 days per week.
- 1+ year sea kayak guiding experience
- Previous experience in kayak trip leader role (managing a team of guides) highly desired
- Previous outdoor and/or environmental education experience highly desired
- Ability to set a positive tone while supervising diverse groups of people, preferably in an outdoor education setting
- Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Experience working with youth or people with disabilities a plus
- Able to work independently and comfortable working on multiple projects at a time
- Demonstrated office and administrative skills (MS Office/Google Drive, Salesforce), with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to communicate professionally over phone and email with partners and guides
- Reliable transportation to San Francisco, CA, Sausalito, CA, and Inverness, CA for office work and trips
- CPR and First Aid Certified, or willingness to get certified before starting the position (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder strongly preferred)
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Participation in ETC Trip Leader Training
- February 25-26 in Tomales Bay and Sausalito
- Participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School
- April 1-2 in Tomales Bay
- April 14-17 in Sausalito/Angel Island
- March 29, April 12, April 26 – Virtual Evening Sessions
- Participation in ETC’s Inclusion Training
- May 20-21 in at ETC’s river camp, Coloma CA
- Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Ongoing skills development throughout employment
Term & Commitment
- March/April through October/November (flexible start-end dates as long as candidate can attend the above trainings)
- 22 days per month. The Program Associate will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips.
- Up to three weeks of unpaid time off can be scheduled during the season and should coincide with program needs
- Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Monthly salary DOE starting at $3,000/month. If more or fewer than 22 days are worked in a month, pay will be pro-rated accordingly.
- Use of ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
- Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers