Adventure Guide – CDL Required
The Employee Experience
Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, and Passion: these values are the foundation of Alaska X. We believe that teamwork is necessary to have a productive, fun, and safe work environment. Teamwork fosters creativity and learning which expands our skills and leads us to success. While working together as a team, it is imperative to respect each other. Having a respectful work setting and accepting each person for who they are and what they contribute promotes a positive and inclusive culture. Our integrity as a company is present in everything we do; without integrity, there is no trust, honesty or accountability. Lastly, we believe passion is the key to success as a company. Passion is the genuine enjoyment of what we do that motivates our consistent performance and inspires our vision as a business.
We are looking for people who are fully committed to doing everything possible to ensure our guests leave feeling as though they just experienced the excursion of a lifetime. So, the ability to entertain and engage with people as well as the ability to provide superior guest service is a must for all of our positions.
Our season runs from early May until late September and a generous bonus is given to employees who can stay the entire time.
We offer a variety of seasonal summer jobs including:
Mechanic, Maintenance crew, Unimog Operators, Naturalist and Canoe Guides, Zip Line Guides, Adventure Guide, ATV Guides, Horseback Guides, Dog Mushers and Handlers, Boat Captains, Office and Dock Personnel, Adventure Photo Crew, Retail Sales Associates, Culinary Support Staff, Groundskeepers/Gardeners, Carpenters, IT Team, and Graphic Design.
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Greets guests on the docks. Safely transports guests to and from Adventure Camp, Horseback ranch, and/or between drop off points utilizing the route established by the company. Provides a narrated tour using accurate, quality information while transporting the guests. May accompany the guests as an escort throughout the tour to serve as the primary contact for guests throughout the excursion or may return to the dock for the next group. Plays a major role in making sure guests are completely satisfied with their excursion experience.
MAIN JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures guests experience the “E.X.C.U.R.S.I.O.N. of a lifetime” by being attentive to the needs and/or wants of the guests, answering any and all questions guests may have throughout the excursion, and notifying management of unhappy guests and/or obtaining guests’ information for management to contact them
- Greets and gathers guests on the dock, collects tickets (verifying the tour name and time on each ticket), and directs the guests to the bus
- Accountable for the following prior to departing the dock: verifying the count of tickets before giving them to the dock representative or ship Shore Ex staff, performs head count once on bus, explains liability waiver form to guests, and obtains permission to leave from the dock representative
- Safely transports guests to and from Adventure Camp, Horseback ranch, and/or drop off points while adhering to the timing of the tour (including before and after)
- Demonstrates knowledge of scripted information by consistently providing guests with accurate, quality information throughout the duration of the excursion
- Assures the safety of the guests by conducting a pre-trip bus inspection daily, driving the speed limit at all times, assisting guests into and out of all vehicles, reviewing safety guidelines with the guests, and ensuring children stay with their parents at all times
- Acts as a tour escort by accompanying the guests for the whole tour providing them with quality information and answers to their questions
- Performs chores at camp to include, but not limited to the following: watering the dogs, assist dog camp staff with the handling of dogs, stocking the refreshment area, and maintaining the cleanliness of the puppy pens, bathrooms, refreshment area, and general camp area
- Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the bus, immediately reporting problems with the bus to Maintenance by documenting on white board, and completely filling the bus with the gas at the end of the day
- Communicates accurate information to the appropriate staff when required and as needed (radioing in the guest count to dog camp, radioing to the office when appropriate, communicating with the dock, etc.)
- Transports supplies as needed
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBLITIES:
- In the event the dock representative is not on the dock, position is responsible for verifying the expected guest count with the shore excursion staff upon arriving to the dock, notifying the shore excursion staff of the actual guest count prior to leaving the dock, communicating the actual guest count to the dock representative via radio, and making sure the tickets get to either the dock representative or office staff prior departing town
- Acting as a shuttle to transport Glacier Point guests to and from the Small Boat Harbor as needed
ALL POSITIONS IN COMPANY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Adhering to all company policies
- Striving to accomplish goals discussed with management during the monthly evaluations
- Experience Alaska while earning incredibly competitive hourly wages
- Create memories and friendships that last a lifetime
- Unbelievable wildlife is waiting just for you
- Awesome bonus compensation is available to staff members who complete the terms of their agreement
- Most positions are in the company’s tip pool
- Days/time off to enjoy the area - our managers are very accommodating!
- Enjoy local tours either for free or at a reduced rate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills that demonstrate a professional demeanor and the ability to interact with others with discretion and tact
- Skilled in guest attentiveness as demonstrated by responsiveness to the needs and wants of our guests
- Ability to memorize, recall, and present information and facts
- Ability to make oral presentations that engage an audience in a professional, clear, concise, and entertaining manner
- Ability to adapt presentations and/or interactions with guests to meet the needs and/or expectations of people from various backgrounds
- Ability to initiate interaction with guests
- Ability to work with little supervision in both a team environment and independently
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude at all times even when dealing with difficult people and while encountering stressful situations
- Ability to be safety oriented
- Ability to see potential problems and react positively
- Skilled in punctuality as demonstrated by consistently adhering to the timing of the tour
- Frequent work is performed outside, so position will frequently be subject to possible adverse
weather conditions and variations in temperature
- May occasionally be subject to different odors throughout the day to include, but is not
limited to, dog poop
- May be subject to noise, to include but not limited to, constant dog barking at dog camp
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must possess current driver’s license
- Must possess a CDL or the ability to obtain one
- Must be able to work varied shift hours
PHYSICAL ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Position involves frequent sitting and walking (usually at least 2.5 hours a day but no more than 5.5 hours a day is spent performing each of these activities)
- Position involves occasional standing (usually no more than 2.5 hours a day)
- Must be able to lift and carry buckets weighing up to 40lbs for a distance of 200 feet (usually no more than 30 minutes a day is spent performing this activity)
Note: The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees. They are not to be understood as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required in this position. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment, and they are subject to change, with or without notice, at the discretion of the employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: $19.00 - $23.00 per hour