We are seeking 4-5 motivated and reliable Invasive Species Strike Team Technicians to join us in controlling invasive species throughout the Catskills this season:
Two Aquatic Strike Team Technicians and 2-3 Terrestrial Strike Team Technicians.
These seasonal Technicians are anticipated to work 37.5 hours/week for 14-18 weeks, beginning mid-May. The Terrestrial Strike Team will focus control efforts on terrestrial plants and animals. The Aquatic Strike Team will focus efforts in and around lakes, rivers, and streams, working from boats or shore in waders or similar gear. All equipment is supplied, but Strike Teams may need to transport equipment and gear to field sites, including kayaks, as appropriate. Training is provided.
The Aquatic Strike Team will be supervised by the CRISP Aquatic Invasive Species Manager, and the Terrestrial Strike Team will be supervised by the CRISP Terrestrial Invasive Species Manager.
All Strike Team Technicians will be based in Arkville, NY, where they will complete some office work. However, most days the Technicians will be outdoors in remote environments with minimal facilities available. Frequent travel throughout the Catskills region will be required. Technicians may have the option to stay overnight at some management sites.
All Strike Team Technicians will:
● Accurately identify, survey, and map invasive plants and animals
● Conduct chemical and/or mechanical invasive species removals
● Assist CRISP colleagues with surveys and/or management where needed
● Keep accurate, timely, and detailed records of activities
● Assist with the creation and upkeep of end-of-season maps and reports
● Properly use and care for tools and equipment, including appropriate cleaning
● Follow all relevant safety precautions, including tool safety, safe boating
practices, and any active COVID-19 safety protocols
● Work with the Volunteer Outreach Coordinator to recruit volunteers, plan and
co-lead invasive species removal volunteer days, and train volunteers on
invasive species identification and removal techniques
● Educate the public about invasive species
● Other duties as assigned
The Terrestrial Strike Team Technicians will also plant native trees and shrubs and
maintain ecological restoration areas
Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle with
ability to transport equipment to field sites. Additional requirements include:
● Ability to hike up to 4 miles carrying up to 30 lbs. over steep, uneven terrain
● Ability to remain outdoors with minimal access to facilities and no cell service
for eight hours at a time
● Video conferencing ability for remote training and remote work
● Ability to work independently
● Demonstrated team-working and communication skills
● Ability to use and/or willingness to learn new web and mobile applications, GIS
software and/or GPS devices
● Aquatic Strike Team Technicians must also be comfortable on open water
● Ability to identify invasive species
● Prior experience managing invasive species
● Knowledge of natural resources management, ecology, or related fields
● Passion for the environment and the Catskills
● Previous boating experience & ability to swim (Aquatic Strike Team only)
We have worked and lived in some of the best places on earth. The experiences that come with seasonal and full time work in adventurous settings are life changing to say the least. We built this job board to share those opportunities with passionate job seekers while connecting employers to the best possible candidates.More about us
Have a question about a job or a place? Need a little extra encouragement? Know of a great place that we haven’t discovered yet? Send us an email, tag us with #AdventureJobBoard on Social, or release the courier pigeons. Contact us. We can’t wait to hear from you!Contact us now
Please sign up here to receive a newsletter listing all our latest jobs, offers and updates.
© 2016 - 2022 Adventure Job Bord - All rights reserved.