DELAWARE BAY PART-TIME SEASONAL TECHNICIAN
Work with the Littoral Society so you can:
- Better the coastal environment
- Become an advocate for a variety of environmental issues
- Educate others about the coast
- Work outside!
- Meet other like-minded environmentalists and professionals in the field
- And many more reasons!
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Purpose of the position
The Delaware Bayshore Part-Time Seasonal Technician works with the Delaware Bayshore Habitat Restoration Program to engage the public directly through community science monitoring, beach walks, shorebird viewing, public education workshops, and festivals. The Part-Time Seasonal Technician is a member of the Society’s Habitat Restoration Team and reports directly to the Delaware Bay Habitat Restoration Project Manager.
Location: Milford, DE
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Educate and interact with the public about the importance and need to protect horseshoe crabs, shorebirds, and the Delaware Bayshore ecosystem through volunteer events, casual beach encounters, formal presentations, and festivals.
- Develop and deliver presentations to the public about the significance of horseshoe crabs, shorebirds, and other important coastal resources and the tools needed to protect them.
- Assist in the supervision of horseshoe crab tagging volunteers in the field.
- Collect data through community science monitoring program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience as a naturalist/educational outreach with understanding of Delaware Bay ecology, horseshoe crabs, shorebirds, and familiarity with Delaware Bayshore communities.
- 1 year of experience in educational outreach and/or environmental ecology educational programs with understanding of ecological principles and how to convey to various audiences.
- Associates/Bachelors degree with a background in marine biology, coastal ecology, wildlife biology, and/or restoration ecology a plus, but not required.
- Experience in coordinating volunteers and project-related events.
- The work requires some manual labor; must be able to bend, twist, and walk long distances on uneven terrain and sand.
- Must also be comfortable working near various forms of wildlife and handling of horseshoe crabs.
- Comfortable working in outdoor conditions for extended periods of time.
- Must enjoy sharing their enthusiasm for the littoral zone with people from all age groups and walks of life.
- Demonstrated ability in successful multi-tasking and coordination with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and have willingness/ability to travel locally.
- Familiarity and experience developing PowerPoint/Google Slide presentations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and up-to-date car insurance. This position will require the use of personal vehicle and laptop.
This position is part-time, and hours are flexible with some evening and weekends required. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a well-established organization that promotes coastal conservation through education, restoration, and advocacy.
The Littoral Society pays $20/hour at an estimated 25 hours per week based upon experience and education and seeks someone who can begin work in April 2024 and will continue through June 2024. Housing is not available. Must be located within reasonable distance of Milford, DE.
How to Apply:
- Email RESUME and COVER LETTER to: Habitat Restoration Project Manager: Shane Godshall at [email protected]
- Deadline: Thursday, February 22, 2024
- No phone calls please.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to race, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or religion.