While here, you'll become closer to the wilderness, closer to different people and closer to yourself. When you leave you take the spirit of the Memorial with you; not just photographs, souvenirs, and addresses, but something of far greater value - a special awareness about yourself, the United States, and your future.
Xanterra is the concessionaire in charge of operating the public, non-government guest services at the Memorial. The hospitality services we provide include: a cafeteria, ice cream and fudge shops and a world-class gift shop. As Mount Rushmore receives millions of visitors each summer, you can imagine the need for many employees; each working with one goal in mind; to make sure every visitor enjoys their stay. Not all the jobs are glamorous and, make no mistake about it, they all require work. But, a summer living and working in the Black Hills can provide memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. We encourage you to continue reading, and discover how you can become a part of Mount Rushmore history!
As an employee of Xanterra, you will be able to enjoy your days off to spend as you choose in the magnificent Black Hills. Your "Mount Rushmore experience" will provide you with an unparalleled opportunity to meet a wide cross-section of visitors and fellow employees from all over the world. For some, a summer at Mount Rushmore is a step on the road to other careers and different places; for others, it is the first step in a career in the hospitality industry.
$11 - $11 / hour
Additional Job Details
- International Applicants Allowed?
- Work Visa Sponsoring Available
Join our Retail team at Mount Rushmore National Memorial! Are you enthusiastic about providing exceptional customer service by assisting guests throughout their entire shopping experience? Located in the beautiful Black Hills region of South Dakota, the destination draws more than 3 million tourists per year. We operate the iconic gift shop where you will be able to provide top notch hospitality and welcome guests into a gift shop representing the sheer beauty, peace, and scenic grandeur of Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
As our employee, you receive extremely affordable employee housing, discounted meals, employee discounts to explore other Xanterra properties and a generous benefits program for eligible employees. By working with Xanterra Travel Collection amongst the beauty of Mount Rushmore National Memorial, this is your chance to Live, Work, and Explore in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
Year-Round position starts immediately and dormitory-style housing is available! $10.95/hour
- Winter Season (November – April): Work 24 hours per week with FREE room and board
- Summer Season (May – October): Work an average of 40 hours per week
Seasonal positions also available: Starting as early as March and extending until October, 2021!
- Stock shelves, counters, or tables with merchandise.
- Displays merchandise, suggests selections that meet customer’s needs, and emphasizes selling points of article such as quality and utility.
- Demonstrate use of merchandise.
- Answer customer’s questions concerning location, price, and use of merchandise.
- Prepare sales on register.
- Receive payment or obtain credit authorization.
- Wrap or bag merchandise for customers.
- Places new merchandise on display.
- Remove and record amounts of cash in register at end of shift.
- Takes inventory of stock.
- Requisitions merchandise form stockroom.
- Examines defective article returned by customer to determine if refund or replacement should be made.
- Greets customer on sales floor and determines make, type, and quality of merchandise desired.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
- At least six months of previous cashiering experience. Previous retail experience is preferred.
- Public contact experience with a willingness to courteously interact with a broad cross-section of customers in a high-volume seasonal retail operation.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Ability to properly handle and secure cash and credit cards; basic math skills and ability to make change.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision while maintaining guidelines set by supervisor.
- Ability to stand/walk continuously for eight to ten hours.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to frequently bend down or kneel.