This job has been Expired
Hilltop Urban Farm
Position Title: Youth Farm Program Manager (YFPM)
Position Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary of Position: The Youth Farm Program Manager is responsible for carrying out programming at the Youth Farm at Hilltop Urban Farm by coordinating logistics, maintaining relationships with community partners, leading workshops with educators and students, and supporting the development and growth of the Youth Farm programs. The Youth Farm Program Manager is responsible for the planting and maintenance of the Youth Farm and its youth-led food growing activities.
Partnership Development and Management:
- Ability to establish rapport and develop strong relationships with a diverse group of people, including youth, teachers, school administrators, community leaders, and managers from nonprofit organizations and local institutions.
- Liaison with local partners including Pittsburgh Public School District, Pittsburgh Arlington PreK-8, Lighthouse Cathedral, The Neighborhood Academy, and Grow Pittsburgh’s Learning Garden Program
- Coordinate program partnerships including Grow Pittsburgh, Allegheny Land Trust, Penn State Extension and PowerUp
Curriculum Development and Management:
- Develop Youth Farm curriculum. Create and define garden-based lesson plans.
- Assess and Evaluate the implementation of the Youth Farm curriculum with program partners
Program Development and Management:
- Deliver and directly support garden programming at the Youth Farm and with partnering organizations
- Teach elementary, middle school and high school age students how to grow and prepare food.
- Supervise youth interns, summer workers, and program participants.
- Communicate regularly with teachers to ensure that lessons are meeting the needs of students and successfully connecting to classroom curriculum.
- Manage programmatic logistics, including calendar.
- Coordinate monthly volunteer work days from April to October. Coordinate events and tours.
- Coordinate partnering organizations who contribute supplementary workshops.
Youth Farm Operations:
The Youth Farm Program Manager is responsible for food production and site maintenance within the one-acre Youth Farm.
- Oversee all farming-production. Plan yearly crop schedules to facilitate education programming. Maintain and operate irrigation. Harvest, wash, bunch and package produce. Maintain farm facilities and equipment.
- Implement regenerative and organic farming practices.
- Manage farm operations spending in accordance with Youth Farm Program budget. Manage and provide documentation for farm-related purchases.
- Collaboratively support overall growth, expansion and sustainability of Youth Farm & Youth Farm Program.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience working with youth aged 4 to 18 in classroom and/or experiential education setting. Ability to demonstrate basic gardening tasks and science concepts to a class of elementary, middle school and high school students.
- Experience as a program coordinator preferred.
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced non-profit/social business hybrid environment. Self-starter and comfortable/able to lead people and work independently on site.
- Interest or background in sustainable agriculture, food justice, social justice and food. access. Food production experience a must, including use of farm tools and/or machinery.
- Ability to work collaboratively to set goals and create program.
- Positive experience working with communities of color.
- Experience supporting Youth voices.
- Access to a reliable vehicle required.
- Ability to do physical and labor-intensive work in all weather conditions. Must be able to lift and carry 30 pounds.
- Good communication skills, including writing and public presentation skills with both youth and adults.
- Must obtain Pennsylvania child abuse clearances.
Bachelor’s Degree in education, agriculture, environmental science or comparative years of experience.
This position is a full-time salaried position. Salary range is $38,000 to $45,000. Mileage reimbursement. Paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Hilltop Urban Farm is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or belief. We encourage a diversity of candidates to apply for the position.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Sarah Baxendell, Director of Hilltop Urban Farm, at [email protected] no later than January 31, 2019. Please title the email “Youth Farm Program Manager Application.” The Youth Farm Program Manager position will start by mid-February 2019.
Due to our limited organizational capacity, we regret that we are unable to personally follow up with everyone who applies.