This job has been Expired
Seal Rescue Ireland
Seal Rescue Ireland: Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a charity organisation which operates a busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation centre located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. As the only facility that fully rehabilitates seals within the Republic of Ireland, SRI responds to strandings nationwide. Most reports are for young grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and common seal (Phoca vitulina) pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the Irish coastline. In addition, SRI pursues understanding and public engagement of ocean conservation and sustainability through education, community outreach and research programmes.
SRI is currently accepting applications for their Education Intern position with immediate start dates available. This high paced, full-time position is for a minimum of 12 weeks, but longer time commitments are encouraged. After completion of initial training, interns who excel may be invited to stay longer and offered higher levels of responsibility.
Reports to: Operations Manager
Job Summary: The Education Intern will assist with everything related to the various education programs which cater to children as young as 2 years old all the way up to presentations geared towards adults. The intern will need to be able to plan, develop and deliver educational programs, activities, games, and materials which are tailored to each group’s specific needs, interests and curriculum. They will plan/attend community outreach events, school visits, birthday parties, fundraisers and networking events to promote awareness of SRI’s mission of marine conservation. They will also be trained to give daily educational tours of the Centre as well as providing customer care in the gift shop. There may be some involvement in assisting in the husbandry care and maintenance of rehabilitation animals if interested.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background and dedicated interest in areas of study such as Zoology, Marine Biology, Environmental Science, Conservation, Education, Oceanography, Child Development or related field. Background knowledge of marine mammals is preferred but not required. Applicants must be organized, personable, self-motivated, resourceful and have experience facilitating events and lessons for large groups. They will be expected to manage staff and volunteers appropriately. Great networking and public speaking skills are a must. Interns will be expected to maintain a high level of professionalism and diplomacy whenever they are representing Seal Rescue Ireland. We are looking for a candidate that works well as a team and is comfortable around individuals of all ages, ability levels, and backgrounds. Finally, applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Lead groups of children and adults in educational activities
- Give educational tours of the facility to visitors and school groups
- Coordinate and develop educational programs
- Create educational plans and materials
- Attend community outreach events to represent SRI
- Plan and assist with fundraisers
- Provide customer service to visitors in the gift shop
- Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s rehabilitation animals (if interested)
- Provide assistance to the rehabilitation staff as needed
- Performs other duties relating to the Centre’s goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 90 Euro/week (including food) on a first come first served basis. Interns are responsible for their own travel expenses.
Please visit our website at (http://www.sealrescueireland.org/internships/) to download the application form. Then send completed with your resume, cover letter, and two reference letters to: [email protected]
Attention: Education Internship
Check us out on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/sealrescueireland/
Registered Charity: RCN 20108519
Related Jobs (21)
- Veteran’s Fire Corps Crew Leader Development Program on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Dolores River Restoration Partnership (DRRP) Strike Team Leader on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Adult Crew Leaders & Crew Leaders in Development Program (CLDP) on November 8, 2019 Seasonal