This job has been Expired
Herring Gut Learning Center
Description: Herring Gut Summer Camp is a co-ed marine science day camp for children grades K-8. The goal of this program is to inspire young people to explore, discover, and learn about Maine’s marine resources through the unique hands-on Herring Gut experience. The Marine Science Summer Camp Counselor Intern will help manage the camp with program, education, and administrative responsibilities. Through this internship, candidates can expect to gain valuable marine science experience, teaching, and leadership skills.
- Education of campers in the classroom and field
- Organize and lead marine science-based activities, games, and art projects
- Supervise campers on excursions to field sites
- Ensure the safety of all campers
- Be a role model to campers in attitude and behavior
- Work as a team with other camp and HGLC staff members
- Assist in set-up and clean up of camp each day
- Help with other Herring Gut operations as needed
- Provide safe transportation of all campers in HGLC van
- Communication with parents
- Some college, with courses taken in the life sciences
- Knowledge of Maine coastal life, specifically tidepool organisms
- First Aid and CPR Certification required (Wilderness First Aid or higher certification desired)
- Valid driver’s license (experience driving 15 passenger vans desired)
- Ability to work well with children
- Creative, flexible, positive attitude, and sense of humor
- Lifeguard certification desired
Hours: 7 weeks, approximately 250 hour position with the potential of earning college credit based on sending college’s policies.
Time Frame: The internship will begin on Sunday, June 28th, 2020 (required to arrive on campus June 27th to move in) and end (departure) on Saturday, August 15th, 2019; time for pre-camp training and debriefing after camp included.
Pay: $2,950 total stipend paid bi-weekly with on-site housing provided free of charge.
Please send a cover letter, resume/cv, and three references to Georgie Burruss, Camp Supervisor, at [email protected] by March 15th, 2020. We will be accepting applications and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.