Alaska Mountain Guides
Skagway 2019 Dock Rep Manager
The Skagway dock rep’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing clients with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. The Skagway reps facilitate the operation of all our day programs via collecting passengers, collecting tickets and waivers, and driving transfers.
Alaska Mountain Guides
Alaska Mountain Guides is the premier outdoor adventure guide service in Southeast Alaska. Day trips out of Skagway and Haines include rock climbing, zip lining, hiking, kayaking, and canoeing. AMG also offers multi-day expeditions and instructional courses across the globe.
Guiding Alaskan rivers since 1978, Chilkat Guides has been a leader in river guiding for over three decades. Hike and float the historic Chilkoot Trail, raft through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, or experience the culture and history of the Tlingits in their mother village of Klukwan on one of our day trips. Chilkat Guides also offers multi-day rafting adventures on some of North America’s most wild and remote rivers.
Skagway Specific Employee Information:
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise the dock rep team making sure that the follow all guidelines and job functions.
- Create dock schedule.
- Manage dock rep hours and OT.
- Provide feedback for dock reps and identify areas for improvement.
- Lead weekly dock team meetings.
- Work with marketing manager on current or new initiatives.
- Ensure dock staff has correctly entered sales numbers into database and have prepared the daily ship summaries for ships and AMG management.
- Ensure all dock staff are on time, on task, and in uniform.
- Perform all dock rep duties including but not limited to:
- Meet guests disembarking cruise ships.
- Collect tickets and ensure each guest correctly completes the appropriate waiver/assumption of risk form.
- Give guests rundown/synopsis of tour they are taking and answer any questions they have.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Check in/out with ship shore excursion staff.
- Collects tickets and waivers from other guides as they leave the pier.
- Keep all tickets and waivers organized throughout the day.
- Appropriately fill out ship settlement forms.
- Settle with ships at the end of the day to ensure payment for tours given.
- Walk guests or drive guests to tour departure location.
- Support projects and additional responsibilities as needed.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
- Must, at all times, be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, and reliable.
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in the maintenance of group morale.
- The Dock Representative Manager reports to the Program Manager.
Experience Required to Perform Job Requirements
- Prior tourism experience preferred.
- Must possess strong work ethic.
- Must be punctual.
- Must be organized.
- Must have great, positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable speaking to large groups of people.
- Must be able to handle multiple, simultaneous groups of guests.
- Must possess or be willing and able to acquire class B Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsements. To be eligible to obtain a CDL, a candidate must have a clean driving record, be over 21 years of age by May 1, 2019, and have had a driver’s license for at least one year
- Must be willing to contribute to bus driving duties for these and other tours
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card
- Completion of AMG Skagway driver training program
- Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours
- Complete vehicle checklists as needed.
- Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of buses, tour equipment, and the locations that the tours visit.
- Complete appropriate driver checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter and resume.We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.