This job has been Expired
Camp Somerset for Girls
The Head of Adventure supervises the ropes and adventure course activities and assist the Head of Trips with off-campus overnight activities, as needed. The duties include the inventory and purchasing of supplies, supervision of staff, adherence to teaching standards, and development of programs and lesson plans.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage the daily operations of all adventure departments, including: high rope, low ropes, climbing, and mountain biking.
- Oversee the planning and preparation of all activity area instructional periods
- Assist with planning and oversight of age-specific overnight trips.
- Oversee the inventory and ordering of all supplies for the above mentioned areas and report all broken or faulty equipment.
- Conduct end-of-season inventory, and store equipment for safety.
- Check equipment and make (or file for) repairs.
- Conduct daily check of program area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Evaluate current season and make recommendations for equipment, supplies, and program for the following season.
- Supervision of all adventure/ropes/trip staff members.
- Teach staff their responsibilities in activities during staff orientation.
- Provide ongoing feedback and direction as well as mid- and end-of-summer formal reviews.
- Ensure the proper execution of pre-established lesson plans.
- Ensure safety measures are in place and are followed.
- Coordinate staff development and programmatic advancement to stay current with the latest trends in the activity areas.
- Participate as a member of the camp leadership team
- Attend the daily morning meeting and all other scheduled and unscheduled leadership team meetings.
- Assist with overall camp supervision including attending all camp activities, nightly on duty assignments, and out of camp trip supervision.
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
- Training and experience with adventure courses and climbing walls/apparatus.
- Ability to teach skills in at least one of the areas
- The ability to manage staff operating multiple stations ropes course.
- Experience in the delivery of Facilitation Skills Training for staff.
- Proper Risk management assessment skills. Experience training staff in Risk Management Assessment.
- Understanding of logging equipment and incident forms.
- Currently possess or able to achieve relevant certifications to manage activity areas.
- Has a proven track record of safe operation of challenge course and trip management.
- Ability to set up demonstration area and program, and to teach skills to staff and campers of all ages
- Ability to supervise staff, make scheduling assignments, and order supplies and equipment
- Desire and ability to work with children
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision
- Good character, integrity, and ability to adapt to camp setting
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- Desire to work and live in a camp community 24 hrs. a day during the summer
Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
Summer 2020 Specifics
- Arrive: Sunday June 7th (or earlier if desired)
- Adventure Course Training: TBD
- Full Staff Training: June 17th-June 25th
- Camp Sessions: June 26th-August 14th
- Mother/Daughter Weekend: August 14th-August 16th
- Depart: Afternoon of August 16th or anytime thereafter
- Negotiable Salary, Travel Stipend, All Meals
- Shared private bedroom with shared private bathrooms
- Travel Details
- Personal vehicles are allowed or airport/bus station pickup can be arranged.