The Phoenix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster a supportive, physically active community for individuals who are recovering from a substance use disorder and for those who choose to live sober. By participating in our physical, social and educational programs, participants build confidence, self-respect, and community. Activities offered include group fitness, climbing, hiking, boxing, running, yoga, road & mountain biking, and strength training. Through traditional fundraising strategies and revenue-generating ventures, Phoenix is able to provide free programs for anyone with 48 hours of sobriety. The Phoenix currently operates in 45 communities across 24 states.
The Instructor will be responsible for building community by delivering quality programming and performing targeted outreach in the communities we serve. Primary duties will include leading activities (these may include group fitness, yoga, rock climbing, running, cycling, Pilates, dance, meditation, or other disciplines), supporting other instructors, and engaging in targeted community outreach to increase awareness of The Phoenix in San Diego. The Instructor will also be responsible for cultivating, building, and nurturing relationships with Team Members and ensuring that programming offered is consistent with The Phoenix mission and core values. A strong connection to The Phoenix Mission and commitment to leading by example are critical to this position; preference will be given to those with personal experience in recovery from alcohol or a substance use disorder.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead multiple events each week such as group fitness, boxing, yoga, Pilates, dance, hiking, biking, and running (approximately. 20-30 hours of direct programming)
- Under supervision of the San Diego Program Manager, facilitate Phoenix programs, including free community programs, volunteer programs, and contracted partnership programming with partner organizations
- Spread the word about The Phoenix at targeted outreach events, identify outreach opportunities, and schedule events
- Train and mentor additional instructors and volunteer instructors as program needs increase
- Ensure quality at all classes and events by cultivating relationships, supporting volunteers, and maintaining positive relationships with community partners
- Help build and support a robust volunteer program, including recruiting, training, and supporting a solid and sustainable base of volunteer support
- Ensure the facility and programming space are trauma-informed (accessible, clean, safe, welcoming) and reflect The Phoenix core values and community standards
- Assist with general daily administrative duties of The Phoenix as needed
- Attend and participate in local and national staff and team meetings
- Assist with the online presence of the chapter, including social media and website updates
- Be an ambassador for The Phoenix at all times
- Fulfill other duties as assigned
- Certification in at least one relevant athletic discipline (e.g., CF-L1, L-2, or L-3; NASM, NSCA, ACSM, or ACE Personal Trainer; AMGA-CWI, SPI, or Rock Guide; IMBA-L1; YT-200, etc.)
- Experience facilitating group fitness programs or other group activities
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people from all walks of life, including newly sober individuals, high net worth donors, elected officials, persons experiencing homelessness, etc.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, humility, and integrity
- Strong verbal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with people in a group setting
- Excellent communication skills, professionalism, and the ability to quickly adapt to change
- Ability to use standard office equipment and computer equipment, including word processing, spreadsheet applications, and email
- Willingness to work flexible hours including early mornings, late evenings, or weekends as needed
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.