This job has been Expired
Alaska Earthquake Center
The Alaska Earthquake Center is recruiting for a Field Technician position with a software development component. The successful applicant will spend much of the summer traveling to remote parts of Alaska to install and maintain seismic sensor stations, and will spend the winter collaborating with a small team of software developers on varied and interesting software projects.
The Alaska Earthquake Center operates a network of seismic monitoring stations across the state. We acquire data from these stations in real time and use it to provide definitive earthquake information to the public, emergency managers, scientists and engineers. Maintaining the network is an interesting and rewarding task undertaken by a team of engineers and technicians. The successful applicant will join this team. Qualified candidates will have software development experience, knowledge of DC power fundamentals, and be a reliable decision maker in a remote setting. This job requires extensive travel between the months of April and September.
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and maintain sound decision making skills in a remote natural environment.
- Ability to lead the activities of others in a remote setting.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of DC power systems.
- Knowledge of programming concepts and flexibility to develop software in multiple languages, including C and Python.
- Ability to compile, organize, and analyze complex data sets using spreadsheets, macros, and scripts.
- Ability to analyze complex data sets and summarize findings in written reports.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts, and familiarity with other information technologies.
- Ability to manage the activities of a laboratory and administer a safety program.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Engineering Technology and four years experience in a related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Demonstrated experience in installing or maintaining electronic systems.
APPLY ONLINE AT