This job has been Expired
YMCA Camp Campbell
Interested in spending the summer backpacking in the beautiful redwoods , whitewater rafting the Russian River, or rock climbing the crags in beautiful California State Parks?
YMCA Camp Campbell is hiring for Teen Adventure Trip Leaders and Leadership positions! We are located in the breathtaking Santa Cruz mountains about a half hour from San Jose and Santa Cruz and a few short minutes from Big Basin and Castle Rock State Parks. These seasonal positions work with our teens on trips through state parks around the Central California Coast and do activities like backpacking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, surfing, kayaking, and more! If you love adventure, and are passionate about bringing kids and teens into the outdoor world then we would love to hear from you!
Meals and housing are included in weekly pay rate. Complete summer season runs from the first week of June through August 14th.
Apply online through ACA or at https://www.ymcasv.org/camp-campbell .
Teen Adventure Camp Trip Leader: Job Description
General Functions: Assist in the development and implementation of camping-based teen experience camps. To foster the YMCA core values of respect, honesty, responsibility and caring amongst fellow staff and campers. To live with, guide and support campers at an off-site campground in a safe, positive, and energetic manner.
- Responsible for programs related to specific travel camps, including planning and running a wide range of activities, menu planning, meal preparation, field trips and camping supervision. Work with tripping director to ensure proper boundaries and rules are followed by all.
- Maintain proper documentation as required by camp director
- Use established system for communication with other camp departments
- Assist in behavior management and proper record-keeping of all incidents and carry fully stocked first aid kit
- Responsible for the health and welfare of campers/staff and helping maintain staff to camper ratio of 1:8 at all times
- Be able to communicate and work well with other members of the leadership team and vendors
- Serve as a positive role model through use of proper language, professional appearance, constructive communication skills, and healthy personal habits
- Have visual ability to recognize hazards in the camp setting and the auditory ability to respond appropriately to those hazards
- Have ability to hike with full backpacking supplies/pack
- Follow all rules and regulations in the Code of Conduct (+Vendors and state park rules and regulations)
- Be able to observe camper and staff behavior in daily camp life, to respond to health and safety concerns, and to deal appropriately with improper behavior
To perform this job successfully an employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications and duties listed above, and the physical demands of the position listed here, are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an employee with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
The physical demands of the position include:
- Visual and auditory ability to observe and to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related physical skills.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Ability to climb, push, and pull for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 pounds or more.
Effect on End Results:
- Successful Camp Program operations by effectively serving the needs of youth and families in our community.
- To support and complement other programs and initiatives within the YMCA of Silicon Valley.
- Establish positive family communication and teach new skills including building relationships, social skills, independence, and self-reliance skills.
- Provide an engaging and fun experience
- Encourage and deliver positive values and build developmental assets
- Create an inclusive YMCA centric community and environment that fosters belonging
- Be responsible for campers and staff safety while reducing and managing risk
- Mentor and coach youth and peers; supervise program area; implement program curriculum that supports trying new and diverse activities as well as healthy lifestyle choices
- Experience as a group counselor or staff member in a camp setting; trip leading experience is preferred
- Extensive experience in the outdoors either personally or professionally; knowledge in backpacking, rock climbing, and water sports is required
- Flexibility and maturity, with ability to be self-motivated and work with minimum supervision
- Ability to relate to peers as well as youth effectively
- Believe in and promote the values of the YMCA of Silicon Valley as well as the individual worth of the campers
- Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder preferred, CPR and First Aid (can be obtained upon hire)
- Servsafe food handler (can be obtained upon hire)
- Lifeguard (can be obtained upon hire)
- Class B license preferred; YMCA approved driver (can be obtained upon hire; requires clean driving record and passing drug test)
- Emotional Maturity – Demonstrates the ability to accurately assess personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships with others.
- Values – Consistently demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all matters at all times.
- Developing Others – Shares experiences and provides training to assist campers with their development.
- Decision-making – Takes personal responsibility for decisions and the likely implications of behavior, before acting.
- Relationships – Build authentic relationships with participants, parents, and other staff in support of the Y’s mission.
- Communication – Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
Related Jobs (13)
- Outdoor Adventure Director – Ropes Course Management on January 19, 2021 Seasonal
- Professional Outdoor Educator- Kayak and Mountain Bike Guide on January 4, 2021 Seasonal