This job has been Expired
Town of Dorset
Town of Dorset
Outdoor Recreation Director
Dorset, a small picturesque Town in Southwest Vermont is seeking to fill the newly created position of Outdoor Recreation Director. This is a part time position with an expected schedule of 12-20 hours per week. The work schedule is generally flexible and some weekend and evening work is expected.
Dorset is home to multiple outdoor recreational properties that offer a wide array of opportunities for residents and visitors. Recently Dorset expanded Owls Head Town Forest, and worked to improve the trail experience at Cutler Memorial Forest and The Pinnacle. In addition, the Town works closely with local and regional partners to support other outdoor recreation opportunities. Dorset is home to nearly 9,000 acres of public and conserved lands including Emerald Lake State Park and US Forest Service Green Mountain National Forest. Recently the Town has partnered with local trails groups and the USFS to begin building a mountain bike trail riding network.
The Recreation Director position will be responsible for:
- Day to day maintenance & upkeep of Town owned recreational properties.
- Creating & implementing a Master Plan for operations and improvements to Town owned recreational properties.
- Responding and resolving user comments/complaints about trail and property issues.
- Establishing and strengthening partnerships with local/regional outdoor recreation groups, non-profit, public and private.
- Planning and managing public events sponsored by the Town.
- Coordinating with vendors and contractors to perform work on Town property as needed.
A desire to work outside and a positive attitude are a must. Some work will be physical in nature. Candidates should be able to work on their feet for 5-8 hours and be able to lift heavy items (up to50lbs) repeatedly. Position will occasionally require the operation of an on road or off road vehicle, a valid driver’s license is required. A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent level of training and experience is preferred. Experience in the field of outdoor recreation is preferred. Experience or knowledge of recreational trail construction techniques is preferred. Compensation is based on experience with an expected pay range of $20.00 to $25.00 per hour. Position is open until filled.
The Town of Dorset is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit a letter of interest and resume to: Dorset Town Manager’s Office PO Box 715 East Dorset, VT 05253 or email to: [email protected]. Questions? Call 362-4571 x 3.
Related Jobs (30)
- Summer Camp Adventure, Nature/Science & Camping Staff Wanted on February 3, 2020 Seasonal
- Resident Wilderness Field Instructor (Outdoor Education) on January 31, 2020 Seasonal