This job has been Expired
YMCA Camp Mason
- Spring season: March 22nd, 2020-June 13th, 2020
- Salary: $450 per week plus room & board. Additional compensation for evening programs and for hosting.
- A hands-on, field position that directly involves teaching and leading groups of students in outdoor, environmental and recreational activities. Instructors should expect long yet extremely rewarding days that may include weekends and/or evenings for night hikes and special programs. Instructors will have two days off for every five days worked. Instructors will work with schools and groups throughout the Spring.
- Essential Functions: Plan and teach classes to groups of children, young people and adults; supervise outdoor recreation activities related to schools and youth groups visiting camp; assist with curriculum development and planning; maintain specialized outdoor education equipment; assist with special programs and events; when needed, assist with cleaning and preparation of camp facilities; help maintain key hiking trails; occasionally lead hikes, night hike programs, or campfire programs. Act in rotation as one of a team of “on duty” hosts when groups are present at camp.
- Qualifications: Associate or Bachelor’s Degree or major in Environmental Science, Education, Recreation, Biology, Botany or relevant experience; must be passionate for working outdoors with youth, teens, and adults; comfortable outdoors and familiar with outdoor recreation and natural sciences; capable of supervising children; some knowledge of at least 3 key curriculum subjects (high ropes, low ropes & teambuilding, rock climbing, boating, lifeguarding, ecology, pioneering skills, fishing, nature crafts, peer counseling, archery, riflery, hiking, plant and animal identification, and environmental sciences); first aid and CPR training provided. Lifeguarding a plus. The ideal candidate will have experience in Outdoor Education, facilitation, high and low challenge courses or related experiences.
- Benefits: Stipend paid for seasonal contract, pro-rated on a bi-weekly basis, additional to room and board. Housing provided includes a private room in a shared house with kitchen, laundry, and Wifi. Additional compensation for evening programs and for hosting. Workman’s Compensation Insurance provided to all staff. Retirement benefit if already enrolled in the Y retirement fund.
- Application Procedure: Please send resume and cover letter to Sara Davis at [email protected]