YMCA Camp Mason
Starting date: March 22nd, 2020
Ending date: November 7th, 2020
Spring season only: March 22nd, 2020-June 13th, 2020
Salary: $450 per week plus room & board. Additional compensation for evening programs and for hosting.
A hands-on, field position that directly involves teaching and leading groups of students in outdoor, environmental and recreational activities. Instructors should expect long yet extremely rewarding days that may include weekends and/or evenings for night hikes and special programs. Instructors will have two days off for every five days worked. Instructors will work with schools and groups throughout the Spring and Fall seasons and with our day camp and/or resident camp from mid-June until mid-August.
Essential Functions for Spring and Fall:
- Plan and teach classes to groups of children, young people and adults
- Supervise outdoor recreation activities related to schools and youth groups visiting camp
- Assist with curriculum development and planning
- Maintain specialized outdoor education equipment
- Assist with special programs and events
- When needed, assist with cleaning and preparation of camp facilities
- Help maintain key hiking trails
- Lead hikes, night hike programs, or campfire programs
- Act in rotation as one of a team of “on duty” hosts when groups are present at camp
- Summer leadership role may vary depending on one’s qualifications and interests.
Qualifications: Associate or Bachelor’s Degree or major in Environmental Science, Education, Recreation, Biology, Botany or relevant experience; must be passionate for working outdoors with youth, teens, and adults; comfortable outdoors and familiar with outdoor recreation and natural sciences; capable of supervising children; some knowledge of at least 3 key curriculum subjects (high ropes, low ropes & teambuilding, rock climbing, boating, lifeguarding, ecology, pioneering skills, fishing, nature crafts, peer counseling, archery, riflery, hiking, plant and animal identification, and environmental sciences); first aid and CPR training provided. Lifeguarding a plus. The ideal candidate will have experience in Outdoor Education, facilitation, high and low challenge courses or related experiences.
Benefits: Stipend paid for seasonal contract, pro-rated on a bi-weekly basis, additional to room and board. Housing provided includes a private room in a shared house with kitchen, laundry, and Wifi. Additional compensation for evening programs and for hosting (only available in Spring and Fall). Workman’s Compensation Insurance provided to all staff. Retirement benefit if already enrolled in the Y retirement fund.
Application Procedure: Please send resume and cover letter to Sara Davis at [email protected]