This job has been Expired
San Juan Safaris & San Juan Island Outfitters
San Juan Safaris & San Juan Outfitters upholds high industry standards in professionalism, knowledge, and experience. We strive to be the leaders in our field, and hope to continue to achieve this through our Marine Naturalists.
Marine Naturalists are expected to educate, inform, and monitor all passengers during our 3-4 hour tours. Presenting information on whales, most notably our local populations of killer whales, other local marine mammals, birds, general ecology, whale watching guidelines, as well as general information on the Pacific Northwest. We aim to provide an immersive experience, not just focusing on whales! Education continues off of the water as naturalists are required to write blog posts detailing their experiences on the water.
Onboard Naturalists are also crew! Acting as First Mate, handling lines, and monitoring safety on the vessel are all a part of our Naturalists’ primary responsibilities. For this reason, previous boat experience is preferred, but not required. Pre- and post-trip boat cleanings are also an important part of the position. Naturalists should expect to be on their feet, on a dynamic moving platform, for 5-10 hours a day.
First and foremost, this is a customer service position and the successful applicant will be an extraordinary communicator and people person.
1. Perform duties as First Mate to Captain, including familiarization with all safety procedures.
2. Educate and inform guests about the Salish Sea. This may include material on natural history, wildlife, general ecology, local human history, the San Juan Islands, environmental threats and changes, and current events.
3. Monitor all passengers to assure that they are comfortable, warm, and safe. Know where books, binoculars, blankets and jackets are, and keep guests well informed.
4. Clean and prepare vessel pre- and post-trip.
5. Responsible for continuing to learn new material about the Salish Sea Marine Ecosystem with the goal of becoming an expert.
6. Writing daily trip reports.
1. College education preferred. A background in natural sciences including, but not limited to, marine biology, geology, cetaceans, marine mammals, general ecology, outdoor education, and ornithology is preferred.
2. Working knowledge of boats, and experience, working on open water
3. Strong public speaking and education skills
1. Must have current first aid and CPR certification, including AED
2. Subject to pre-employment and random drug testing
3. Access to a working phone with voicemail
5. Reliable transportation
6. Available Saturdays, Sundays, evenings and holidays throughout the summer
7. Ability to comfortably lift 50 pounds
8. Ability to safely stand and move around on a on a dynamic moving platform for 5-10 hours a day
Competitive pay starting at $14 per hour, plus tips. Work in a world-class outdoor marine environment with abundant wildlife. Free whale watching and kayak tours on a “space available” basis, discounts for family and friends. Be prepared to work hard and have fun with a great group of likeminded people. Paid training, reasonably flexible schedule, best office view in the world!
All interested applicants please include a PDF cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references. Applications may be addressed to Capt. Brian Goodremont, Owner/Operator, and Capt. Sarah McCullagh, Lead Naturalist and Vessel Coordinator, and sent to [email protected]
We are running trips through the end of November, and will actively start our rehire, and then new hire, process in December 2018, with a clear idea of available positions for the upcoming 2019 season by January
All new hires will be expected to be in Friday Harbor, WA, at the latest, by mid-May 2019 for training. Firm start-dates will be discussed with each hire.
Related Jobs (91)
- Shuttle Driver, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on February 20, 2019 Seasonal
- Retail Operations Manager, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on February 20, 2019 Seasonal
- Groups Booking Specialist, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on February 20, 2019 Seasonal
- Parkwide Electrician, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on February 20, 2019 Seasonal
- Housekeeping Room Attendant, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on February 19, 2019 Seasonal