Avid4 Adventure’s Expedition Director, you will become part of a team who all share the belief that participation in the outdoors has the power to transform kids’ lives. Our summer camps empower pre-K – 12th graders with the skills and confidence to live active, healthy lifestyles as they learn to paddle, bike, hike, climb and thrive in the outdoors. The Expedition Director is responsible for creating the strategy and overseeing the execution of Avid4 Adventure’s overnight expedition programs.
- You find power in outdoor adventure and have extensive personal and professional experience and a solid technical skill set in our core sports.
- You love logistics, menu planning, permitting, scheduling, re-supplies, etc.
- You work hard and have deep and demonstrated experience completing complex projects with high levels of success.
- You take joy in being a strong communicator and a connection point for others.
- You love to teach, train, and develop leaders.
- You understand, manage, and embrace risk and have demonstrated the ability to thrive under pressure and respond to emergencies effectively.
- Ensure the impeccable planning and execution of Avid4’s Overnight Expeditions in alignment with Avid4’s 3 Bottom Lines (quality programs, staff happiness, and strong risk management/response) and state/ACA requirements; this includes managing the permitting relationships and portfolio, developing Expedition Binders for each instructor team, scouting and developing Activity Location Reports, creating evaluative process for instructors, trip debriefs, etc
- Develop and lead training for Expedition staff and Backpacking staff in conjunction with the Avid4 Adventure Resident Camp Staff Training
- Assist Resident Camp Directors with the development and execution of the Backpacking portion of their staff training and the Avid4 Backpacking Manual
- Assist Resident Camp Directors with the development of the curriculum for their Backpacking pre-trip and field classes
- Assist Director of Field Operations with the purchasing, organization, and pack out of Overnight Program (Resident Camps and Expeditions) equipment
- Develop and ensure the high quality execution of menus for Expeditions and backpacking trips that occur from Resident Camp
- Assist as needed with Expedition Marketing, Staffing, and Customer Experience
- In Summer, float “in the field” to ensure the top quality of Expeditions AND maintain the equipment, food re-supply, etc. during weekend transitions; this would mean regular time overnight in different trip areas
- In Summer, be first line of support to parents, staff, and campers for Expeditions in the field, emergencies that may arise, etc.
- Support the requests of Resident Camp Directors and the COO
- >21 years of age
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in the backcountry planning and leading multi-day expeditions.
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR.
- Significant personal or teaching experience in at least 2 of our core sports: Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Paddling, Backpacking
- Ability to handle high-stress environments and handle variety of tasks
- Full suite of incredible benefits include health insurance, 401K, pro-purchase program, FSA, flexible time off, & more!
Start Date: January 2019