This job has been Expired
YMCA of the Rockies
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE: https://campchiefouray.org/about-camp/work-at-camp/
Position Summary: The Cabin Counselor/Wrangler lives with and cares for a cabin family of 8-10 campers. He / She is expected to work with co-counselor to ensure each camper’s health and safety and all other aspects of the camper’s experience within the cabin family. Responsible for organizing, planning and safely running activity sessions each day in the Riding Program.
Essential Functions / Requirements for ALL CAMP STAFF:
- Be able to read, speak and/or write English.
- Be able to work inside and outside in all weather conditions.
- Be able to hike on rugged terrain.
- Have current certification in CPR/First Aid.
- Be a dedicated team worker.
- Participate in pre-camp staff training.
- Set a high personal example of Christian character and be dedicated to building Christian character with all campers and staff. Demonstrate caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith in your everyday interactions within the camp community.
- Be concerned with camper development and growth.
- Serve as a role model for proper table conduct and manners at all meals.
- Be responsible for the general appearance and cleanliness of camp. Report any needed repairs to the camp office.
- Be punctual. Always have a watch.
- Put the campers’ needs before your personal needs or issues.
- Never leave campers unsupervised.
- Exhibit maturity and set a quality example for campers and other staff.
- Help uphold and enforce camp policies and standards.
- Ability to solve problems with the needs of YMCA of the Rockies guests and members in
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies mission, policies, and programs.
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members and staff.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
Essential Functions / Requirements for CABIN COUNSELOR / WRANGLER:
- Personal Requirements
- Preferably be at least 19 years of age, and/or have completed one year of college.
- Preferably prior camp experience.
- Participate in Wrangler training.
- Participate in staff training prior to camper arrival at camp.
- Be concerned with the particular needs of camper development and growth, guiding the individual camper in participations in group, unit and all-camp activities.
- Assist in set-up and maintenance of Riding Program.
- Be qualified to teach in the Riding Program.
- Develop and follow lesson plans for, and teach four different levels of western riding.
- Lead cabin group on campout.
- Encourage camper participation in the spiritual aspects of camp and cabin life.
- Assume weekend camp responsibilities for one weekend of the summer.
Other Functions / Requirements:
- Insure guest satisfaction.
- Encourage all campers to participate in the Ragger’s program.
- Assist with dishes as needed.
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record and comply with YMCA driving rule to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles. (Required for approved driver only)
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
- All other duties as assigned.