This job has been Expired
We are seeking to hire an Assistant Director who will co-lead the day-to-day operations of Wombat Camp (ages 9 to 14). This position involves planning the daily schedule for Wombat Camp, managing counselors who facilitate activities and cabins, preparing groups for 3-day backpacking trips, and occasionally going on these backpacking trips as support for counselors. Also serving as campus’s main healthcare coordinator, this person will organize the infirmary, oversee the general health and safety of all campers and staff, and give care within their medical certification guidelines. Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certificate is required.
A person in this role can expect to mentor many counselors throughout the summer, helping them to design and implement activities for our campers. Wombat Camp Assistant Director will work with the Camp Director to keep parents and families informed as necessary, and handle any issues as they occur. This role is largely scheduling and managing, and requires creativity and empathy at every turn to ensure Camp programming runs to the best of its ability and for the overall health and wellbeing of our campers and staff.
- Work with the Camp Director throughout the spring to plan camp programming and scheduling
- Work with the admin team to prepare for and execute staff training
- Work with the Camp Director to schedule and oversee every camp activity and day
- Participate in many camp activities, forming strong bonds within the Camp community
- Work with the Camp Director to schedule counselor off-time, and provide direct supervision over campers when necessary
- Mentor and manage counselors, providing feed-back and training as necessary throughout the summer
- Review individual health forms and medications of incoming campers and staff.
- Care for the physical well-being of everyone in camp, taking care of all cases of illness and accidents and following Camp Woolman treatment procedures – delegating these tasks to other medically certified staff when appropriate
- Maintain appropriate communication with campers’ guardians either by phone, in person, or through written documents to inform camper’s families about any injuries or health concerns that require extended care at camp
- Prepare, restock, and supervise all camp first aid kits
- Give instruction in health and safety and first aid to staff and campers as requested and when deemed appropriate.
- Manage the camp infirmary including administering medication to campers and staff
- Participate in and help facilitate Staff Meetings
- Collaborate with Camp administrators so camp engines run well.
- Participate in the spiritual, emotional, and physical growth of all our beautiful young people
The job begins on April 1, 2020 as 5 hours/week off-site work – working through phone calls with the Camp Director to begin planning the logistics and scheduling of both camps. Full-time work on-site begins June 13th, 2020 for training and preparation. Camp is in session for six weeks, and the job ends on August 14th, after a week of debriefing and cleanup.
- 21 years old
- Outdoor leadership experience, especially backpacking
- Driver’s License
- Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certification, or willingness to obtain one before the start of camp
- A highly focused, detail oriented, and flexible mind that sits atop a caring, kind and empathetic heart.
- Prior experience working with young people.
- Experience in managing and mentoring individuals.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest-in and passion-for fostering, teaching and living the values of peace, justice and sustainability.
- Experience working at a summer camp