Cheerio Adventures is a YMCA overnight tripping camp that runs 1-2 week trips for raising 4th-12th graders. The camp is located in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia on the wild and scenic New River. The Mount Rodgers National Recreational area and the Jefferson National Forest are only a half hour away.
Trip leaders will co-lead one and/or two week overnight trips for raising 4th-12th graders in a variety of activities. These activities may include: Backpacking, rock-climbing, river canoeing, river kayaking, river SUPing, whitewater rafting, caving, just to name a few. Trip leaders are responsible for facilitating these activities with their trips (which is usually 12 campers), packing out food and equipment necessary to lead the trips, and provide a fun and safe environment for the campers to grow. We expect the trip leaders to be positive role models, have a strong work ethic, and be out of camp for extended periods of time. Trip leaders must enjoy working with kids of all ages, and be patient, fun, creative, and strong.
• Must be a rising sophomore in college or 20 yrs old.
• Enjoys kids/teens and being outside
• Have experience working with kids in a camp setting or equivalent
• 12-week commitment from May 20-August 11, 2019
• Must be Physically Fit: be able to carry a 50 lb+ backpack, lift and load canoes and kayaks, etc….
• Must be a competent swimmer
• Some skills or experience in the following areas is helpful: Climbing, canoeing, rafting, caving, backpacking, camping, kayaking, hiking, orienteering, outdoor cooking, minimal impact camping ethics
• Certifications obtained during training: CPR/AED, Wilderness First Aid, Epinephrine training, and American Canoe Association River Instructor Cert (up to level III)
• Competitive Salary based on experience
• Room and board provided, Personal equipment provided at no cost, Washer and dryer on site to use at no cost
• GET PAID TO PLAY OUTSIDE!