Sasamat Outdoor Centre
The Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director helps to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of Sasamat Outdoor Centre through the comprehensive management of all programs. This includes conducting and directing the design, preparation, implementation and evaluation of all of Sasamat Outdoor Centre’s programs, as well as participating in strategic planning for potential program expansion. This position provides leadership that enables a staff team to be inspired, creating and maintaining a welcoming, safe and respectful environment for staff, campers and the community.
Position will remain open until filled, apply at your earliest convenience.
The Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director helps to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of Sasamat Outdoor Centre through the comprehensive management of all programs. This includes conducting and directing the design, preparation, implementation and evaluation of all of Sasamat Outdoor Centre’s programs, as well as participating in strategic planning for potential program expansion. This position provides leadership that enables a staff team to be inspired, reating and maintaining a welcoming, safe and respectful environment for staff, campers and the community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director provides year-round leadership to Sasamat Outdoor Centre’s programs; these include summer camps, outdoor education programs and special events. The Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director ensures the delivery of high-quality camping experiences for children, youth, adults and families.
This position focuses on camper care and development by ensuring staff and volunteers are well trained, efficient, and highly effective in the delivery of programs and services.
Building and maintaining relationships is also a major responsibility for the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director; they will keep camper, staff, family and delivery partner relationships in good standing and well informed.
Success in the position will be measured by positive outcomes for staff training, teamwork, program delivery and community relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director will provide direct and indirect leadership to all aspects of programs at Sasamat Outdoor Centre including:
- Program Management and Development
- Human Resources Management
- Internal Relationships
- External Relationships
- Marketing and Communication
- Other Duties
Commitment to Organization Mission, Vision and Values – demonstrates and promotes an understanding of, and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of Sasamat Outdoor Centre and ANHBC
Leadership – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes
Relationship Building and Collaboration – Builds positive interactions internally and externally to achieve work related goals
Health and Safety – Acknowledges the need for Health and Safety standards and understands how to manage and educate others in risk management and harm reduction
Development – Commits to continuous learning and development for self, participants, volunteer and staff
Teamwork – Actively participates to build maximum organizational effectiveness for Sasamat Outdoor Centre and ANHBC
Planning and Organization –Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term goals
Quality Focus – Ensures that success criteria are set for self, staff and programs, and that criteria reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery
Business Oriented – Develops plans and takes actions with a view to maximizing returns
Results Oriented – Ability to achieve and exceed identified goals
Decision-making – Ability to solve problems while exhibiting sound judgment and a realistic understanding of issues and outcomes
Education and Specialized Knowledge
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of three years in a supervisory or management role in a camp environment
- Extensive knowledge of the organized camping industry and the requirements for delivery of high quality summer resident camp and day camp programs and outdoor education programs for schools and community groups
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and support culturally competent programming
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven leadership ability to guide and motivate staff and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong administrative abilities
- Ability to work under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written English communication skills
- Proficiency with computers and software including word processing (MS Word), accounting programs (Excel) and social media sites
- WCB First Aid Level 1
- Class 4 license
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Certification, or ability and willingness to achieve certification, in specific recreational activities (i.e. RCABC advanced canoeing, ACCT challenge course)
- Physical fitness level commensurate with the duties of the job
Additional skills considered an asset:
- Second language
- Regular full time position, 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday
- May require working longer hours during summer camp
- May require working in an outdoor environment when necessary to meet program needs
- May occasionally travel to other locations in Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland
- May be required to work some evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays
- May be required to work alone and lock up on a semi-remote site
- May involve working with difficult clients