Cody Outdoor Education
Position Type: Spring, Seasonal
Salary: $90.00 – $100.00 daily (Room & Board Provided)
Reports to: Program Manager
Employment Dates: March- June 2019
The STEM Instructor implements all aspects of the Cody Outdoor Education curriculum, including standards-aligned lessons, team building, and large group discussions to 4th – 8th grade students participating in our residential program.
Cody Outdoor Education provides opportunities for students throughout New England to explore environmental and STEM education through inquiry-based lessons both in the classroom and at our superb campuses in Freedom, NH or at Camp Wingate Kirkland on Cape Cod. Our main campus at Camp Cody is located on the southeastern edge of the White Mountains – where New England’s natural beauty is seen at its best – inspiring forests, breathtaking mountains, and crystal-clear lakes. Our Cape Cod facility gives students a chance to visit beautiful beaches, wade through tide-pools and learn about the ocean environment. Complimenting this is our modern facility, which offers program resources that include indoor science classrooms, a ropes course, and a spacious dining room.
Instructors deliver residential, 1-5-day STEM and environmental education programs to 4th – 8th grades from New England schools. All of our lessons are standards aligned and each program is customized to support student learning in the classroom. The hands-on lessons focus on building critical thinking skills, exploring connections between the natural and manmade world, and understanding the role of science and engineering in careers. Instructors also facilitate team building curriculum (initiatives and low ropes) to develop students’ leadership and problem-solving skills.
Instructors are responsible for educating a group of 12-15 students throughout the program, including facilitating day and night lessons and large group activities and leading meals. All instructors participate regularly in tasks that support our programs including housekeeping, kitchen, office work, debriefs, and training. Instructors are supervised and trained by the Program Manager and have opportunities to enhance our curriculum and develop their educator portfolio.
We are committed to providing the highest quality educational experience to our schools and are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated educators to join our team!
Join a staff that is committed to providing an unforgettable experience to youth. Application deadline: March 1st 2019
- 21 years of age or older
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent life experience
- Passion for working outdoors and with youth
- Experience teaching and leading outdoor STEM and environmental science programs
- Understands basic STEM and environmental science concepts and processes
- Ability to relate to students and peers in a positive, supportive manner
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences
- Willingness to take on tasks outside teaching to support the program
Related Jobs (37)
- Public Affairs Specialist 2 (East Region Public Information Officer) on January 18, 2019 Part Time
- Fish and Wildlife Manager 2 (Wildlife Habitat Program Manager) on January 18, 2019 Year Round