This job has been Expired
Verto Education offers an innovative way for students to have a more meaningful first year of college. Through Verto, students can spend their first year of college abroad, get admitted to a better college, and stay on track to graduate in four years. Students can also apply to 40+ partner schools through Verto, including William & Mary, Bucknell University, and University of Oregon, where their credits will transfer seamlessly keeping them on track to graduate in four years.
Our mission is to empower every student to spend impactful time abroad during their college career, and graduate with a better understanding of themselves, and the world around them. Verto Education is accredited through Portland State University.
Program Leader, Campus/Field
We are hiring a Program Leader for each of our semester locations abroad. The Program Leaders in each location will work closely with Verto’s Field Instructor(s) and Regional Manager to deliver the highest-quality experience for Verto students. Each Program Leader is responsible for safeguarding students’ health and safety, managing group dynamics, and supporting our local partner with program logistics such as accommodations, transport, meals, and excursion logistics. Program Leaders represent Verto and mentor our students as they lead them in outdoor adventure activities, community service projects, travel, experiential learning activities, and down time.
We are currently hiring for the following destinations:
- Field: South Pacific (New Zealand, Fiji, Australia)
- Field: Latin America (Costa Rica, Dominican Republic)
- Field: Hawaii
- Campus: Madrid, Spain
- Campus: San Jose, Costa Rica
- Campus: London England
*These destinations are subject to change due to COVID-19. Based on your selection of Field and/or campus, you will be considered for all programs in that category.
You work with a team of local and international Program Leaders, Field Instructors, Student Success Coordinators, and Regional Managers who are focused on student safety and responsibility. You facilitate and ensure life-changing experiences for the students on our semester programs as you do the following:
- Engage with students and deliver the Verto program experience.
- Build and maintain positive community partnerships.
- Implement our safety guidelines and activity standards.
- Proactively work to safeguard and monitor the health and well-being of students and staff.
- Respond appropriately to medical, mental health, and group dynamic situations as they arise.
- Follow established student and company protocols.
- Build personal trust with students and maintain open lines of communication with them throughout their semester abroad programs.
- Facilitate positive group dynamics, and foster inclusivity and respect.
- Ensure program logistics are executed smoothly and consistently with Verto program standards.
- Help create updates for parents by collecting, creating, and managing written content and photos for our blog, social media sites, and email updates.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patient, enthusiastic, analytical, and solution-oriented.
- Follow through with Verto specific documentation practices.
- Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences
- Passion for discussion-based learning and helping students make meaning of their experiences
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for young people.
- Eager to learn from colleagues and enjoys open collaboration and teamwork.
- Able to maintain excellence under pressure and ever-changing conditions.
- Able to follow organizational protocols while working independently.
- Knowledge of local and regional customs and norms in program location(s) through firsthand experience.
- High level of proficiency with Google Drive, Skype, and WhatsApp.
- Must be 24 years of age or older by September 1, 2020.
- Education: BA/BS from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience delivering a curriculum and facilitating experiential education.
- Previous experience as an outdoor education summer program leader preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and passport.
- Professional working proficiency in English.
- Fluency in Spanish required for Latin America and Madrid programs.
Nice to have:
- Professional Photography or Journalism
- Sports Instruction
- Mountaineering, Adventure, or Wilderness guiding
- CPR and Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certified from a licensed provider.
- Ability to work in one or more of our country destinations or regions for at least 13 weeks at a time during August -December.
Work and Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in a remote setting in one or more of our destination countries.
- For field semesters, traveling with the students is required 100% of the time. For our campus semesters, traveling is required 10% of the time.
- The work pace is continually fast-paced and work is required for more than 4 hours at time.
- Low supervision from managers with infrequent prompts.
- This position requires such physical abilities as lifting up to 20-100 lbs. sometimes, standing, kneeling, climbing, crouching, pulling, pushing, sitting, twisting, and walking in an outdoor setting. Other physical attributes include hearing students on the phone, and speaking to them constantly in person.
- The environment in which the job is performed outside may include exposure to extreme temperature, noise, heights, or other hazards.
- All of the above remains the same for any additional requirements for training, protective clothing, or monitoring.
Possible Changes Due to COVID-19: These position responsibilities are subject to change due to ensuring the safety of our staff, students and the communities we visit. Read more about our programming scenario plan here.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Verto Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.